What do you consider?

Hmmmm! My last attempt at a serious topic manage to elicit one serious response, two non-committals and four jerks with agendas.

So let's try something else.

Of all the stated, implied and imagined functions of the AMA, which one (only one gang) do you consider the most important?

IOW which one do you think the AMA should concentrate on the most? Barring crisis management that is!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

Are you AMA? If not, what's your point?

Texas Pete

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Reply to
Abel Pranger

Just go fly toy airplanes....

Join your local political party and volunteer to change things that you can change...

Reply to
Joe D.
  1. Lobbying the FCC for frequency protection, etc.
  2. Lobbying the Department of Interior for use of public lands for flying sites.

  1. The magazine which keeps us informed about our organization.

  1. Youth programs to help feed the attrition!

Reply to
jeboba

Call it professional curiosity Pete. Among other things it's your opportunity to convince me my perception about you and several others here is wrong! So far you're missing the point!

And my point is just as I said, what do you consider the most important function of the AMA?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

See my response to the other malcontent!

That would be Pete in case you can't figure it out.

Reply to
C.O.Jones

And what if you don't have legal use of frequencies and legal use of flying areas? Hmmm? You better care. You better be involved. It's apathetic beliefs that we will always be able to fly our 'toy airplanes' that may be the end of it some day.

Reply to
jeboba

In news:4j%8d.8812$1g5.411@trnddc07, jeboba pecked:

Please explain illegal use of frequencies. Are you trying to say the AMA or local AMA affiliated clubs have the force of law regarding frequency use? Nothing could further from the truth. The FCC, not the AMA controls the use of frequencies.

The other red herring is implying flying anywhere but an AMA affiliated field is somehow illegal. Nothing is further from the truth. The two main areas I fly are a local soccer field that has a sign that says electric flight and gliders are welcome with no fuel powered A/C or helio allowed. My other flying site is private property.

The LAST thing the AMA should be doing is trying to intimidate park and other electric flyers into joining.

-- Dave Thompson

Reply to
Dave Thompson

Its future

Reply to
Mike R

OK dumb shit, now you pissed me off. READ what I wrote. I wrote about lobbying the FCC, the FCC to maintain our frequencies!

I didn't say anything about AMA affiliated fields! I said 'legal flying fields'. That's a place where the owner has approved its use. It sure as hell helps when you can insure the property owner through the AMA though.

Finally, I said LOBBY the government to use public lands for flying fields. They won't get sold for development which has been the biggest cause of field loss.

Now go away and do your homework dipstick!

Reply to
jeboba

so sorry, my bad. I got carried away!

Reply to
jeboba

Getting decent insurance at a price even a lowly park flyer can afford, from an organisation that appears to actually represents his/her best interests?

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

AMA lobbying the government to use public lands for flying fields is bullshit. Public lands should be used by everyone for safe sane recreational activities.........which includes "parkflying" since that's safe and sane..... What's wrong "jeboba" tired of paying club dues to cover the agreement with the landlord????????

Reply to
Mike R

Jeboba in your last post before this one, you never mention the word "lobby", check your post . and in my 2 cents worth, All the AMA is anymore is a Insurance company, because the radio companies are doing more to keep the FCC happy so we have radios

Robert Williams

Reply to
Robert Williams

HOW is your parkflyer any more safe than my quarter or third scale plane ?

They both use the same type of radio to operate and are subject to the same failures.

Reply to
tailfeathers

compare kinetic energy.

You might as well compare a potato gun to an assault rifle, and say they are equally dangerous.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| HOW is your parkflyer any more safe than my quarter or third scale | plane ? | | They both use the same type of radio to operate and are subject to | the same failures.

I realize that you're trolling (or just giving us a stupid rhetorical question), but I'll go ahead and answer your question.

Let's consider a park flier and your quarter scale plane hitting somebody.

Let's assume that the park flier weighs 1 lb and is going at 20 mph. (Most won't go too much faster than that.) Kinetic energy = 1/2 mv^2, so the kinetic energy here would be 18 joules.

Now let's talk about a 1/4 scale plane weighing in at 20 lbs and going at 60 mph. Kinetic energy = 3257 joules. If you increase the speed to 100 mph, the kinetic energy goes up to 9060 joules.

Which do you think is going to hurt more?

I've been hit by park fliers before (well, they were gliders, but they were park flier sized and not going too fast.) One even cut my leg a little bit. But it wasn't bad.

Now, if that plane had 180 times as much energy behind it (or 503 times as much!), I'd probably have at the very least a broken leg.

I for one am glad that I've only been hit by park flier sized airplanes.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

| compare kinetic energy. | | You might as well compare a potato gun to an assault rifle, and say they | are equally dangerous.

Actually, potato guns are pretty dangerous, with many sending a potato at over 200 feet per second.

Let's compare kinetic energies :)

A .22 rifle has muzzle velocities around 1000 fps (right around the speed of sound.) Suppose that the bullet weighs 5 grams (75 grains). KE = 231 joules.

Compare to a 150 gram potato launched at 200 fps. KE = 279 joules.

(Man, I wish we'd use the metric system already ...)

Of course, I've picked a small gun here -- an assault rifle will generally fire the bullet much faster, and I imagine the bullets are generally large as well, but either way, the difference between a potatoe gun and gun fired bullet is much smaller than the difference between a park flier and 1/4th scale plane.

Would I rather get hit with the potato or the .22 bullet? Tough call. Probably the potato, because at least there the impact is spread out. But both can kill.

Of course, even a kicked soccer ball or a baseball hit with a bat can have a large kinetic energy as well -- and can kill. But none of these, including the potato or the .22 bullet, have anywhere near the kinetic energy of a large and fast R/C airplane.

Reply to
Doug McLaren