Since everything is relative, and you could be the best in your shop and
totally suck at the same time, or the reverse could be true...
I've made this little test so young folks can tell if they suck or not...
Of course I suck making this test useless.
Friggenbozo's 10 point test of suckyness.
You know you suck if.....
1. You need the absolute best equipment money can buy to do your job.
2. Your toolbox is setup for show with tons of your tools on top of it,
rather than using your toolbox realistate to actually do stuff on.
3. You have no humility, you actually think you are great. The trade is too
diverse for anybody to be great at everything. It's ok to feel you are good,
but great is ridiculous.
4. You seek jobs based on pay rate. If you have done this for many years
your skill level is low by default.
5. You have done the same type of work your whole career, whether it's 5
years or 50. You can never really know how to do something unless you learn
things that are parallel to it.
6. Bragging. Bragging has always been a sign of a lack or personal
strength. Sometimes it's faked to make money and that's ok(mohammad ali),
but for the most part it's a sign of personal weakness.
7. Your over tooled for the job your doing. If you use a 20 millionths
indicator on a mill....you prolly suck.
8. Pointing out others weaknesses (unless to prove a point). By zooming in
on others shortfalls, your usually just trying to mask your own.
9. After being in the trade for 10 or more years NOT having a feeling of
rebellion. After 10 years or so you better be feeling like there's better
ways to do things, like your bosses are clueless. If you aren't feeling that
way your prolly too much of a follower to of learned much.
10. This one is the most important.
When someone ask's you "can this be done" and you say "YES" before they
can go into the details of what they want you prolly DON't suck. A good
machinist can do anything with whatever he has at his disposal to any
tolerance needed. Of course time is what will suffer. But if you answer yes
before knowing what is needed than your on the right track.
(Insert flames below lol)
13 years ago