Alternative proposal to AMA tiered memberships * EC agenda item

Lifted from the D VIII list:
AMA EXECUTIVE COUNCIL AGENDA ITEM (Please use black ink or typewriter)
Executive Council Meeting of Jan. 28/29,2006 Agenda
Item No. ___ (assigned by President)
STATE ACTUAL MOTION:
Motion:
As an alternate for any TIERED MEMBERSHIP PROPOSAL (e-flight only membership)
(with any reduced cost of membership and reduced services offered)
it is proposed that the 3 month membership plan that now exists be changed to become the following:
A reduced cost, one time ONLY membership for initial first year (membership year) for first time ONLY members.
The price of this FIRST YEAR ONLY membership shall be established by EC action.
There shall be NO peroration of fees for the following year (offered for this first years membership)
XXXX- Time critical to (date) (vote or action to take place at next meeting)
ORIGINATOR(S) Sandy Frank Date Dec. 21, 2005
NOTE: The cut-off date for acceptance of Council meeting agenda subjects shall be four weeks prior to a meeting. Items proposed after that time will be considered at the beginning of the meeting and decided whether they require immediate action or not.
Dr. Frank requested input be sent to him at his e-mail address. Available on the AMA website.
I thought it might be interesting to discuss it here as well
JR
It's simply Brilliant! Building on the huge success of the AMA Introductory Membership Program, DVIII VP will transmogrify it into the "Introductory E-flight Only Membership" Program.
Doc Frank didn't say exactly how much it will cost ("any reduced ..." is a little vague), but extrapolating the $19.95/quarter for the current program to a full year (is that similar to a membership year?) works out to $79.80. A generous discount of, say 25%, would be quite the bargain (is it possible the EC could be that generous??), but I'm trying to curb my enthusiasm 'till I see what the EC decides by way of "reduced services offered." No insurance, maybe? Bummer that it's "for first time ONLY members," though. Some long standing members that are dropping slimers for e-power might feel slighted by that. Not me though - my plans for cloning Jason Shulman's F3A ship(s) haven't waned a bit - I'll stoically bear the full regular membership dues if it helps to get the newbies in ( but only if they are US citizens).
Go Doc, Go AMA!
Abel
wrote:

<snip>
What would be most useful to the AMA to encourage membership is an option that offers the benefits of insurance and no monthly magazine or anything else. I figure the value of this would probably be around fifty cents, but I'd go three fity!
Ciao,
Mr Akimoto.

Yeah, I'm with you,----that mag is pure vapor. The subject materials are out of date copies, from other mags,-- as is the "New" format. But thats the type of low quality crap you get, from an organization that is headed by pompus, outdated, self important stuffed shirts. They haven't had an original thought in years. If the paper were softer it would make good ass- wiping material.
That's a novel idea! I'll put that in their suggestion box about printing the magazine on softer paper or perhaps modern technology would permit authetic toilet tissue. Then I'd go four fity!
Ciao,
Mr Billy, Mr Akimoto's loyal, humble, and trustworthy manservant.
Whoa, if you have a decent home owners insurance, do you REALLY need AMA insurance. I was under the assumptions that AMA insurance is secondary anyway ?

AMA liability insurance is really three coverages. The personal portion has probably the least value to most AMA members. It is, indeed, secondary to any other insurance, inlcluding homeowners or renters (if applicable). However, it does come into play should the amount of your homeowners, etc., coverage be exceeded. It is also requires obeying the safety code, or it MAY not cover you.
The second coverage also has holes in it. It is coverage for clubs and their officers. It too requires compliance with the Safety Code and it does not cover some potential problem areas, such as slander and libel.
The coverage that really makes it all worth while is the coverage for landlords, which may be requested by clubs, or by CD for a specific event. There are about 2500 clubs that might not exist without the coverage for the landlord. There are about 3000 events sanctioned by CDs each year. Coverage for landlord has none of the restrictions of the Safety Code. It is full blown coverage. The cost of this insurance is $20 or slightly more if special wording is requried. Obviously, we all subsidize this coverage. Without it, clubs, their meeting places and even events like the NEAT show might cease to exist. Keep in mind that clubs generate about 50 percent of the dollar amount of all liability claims handled by the AMA.
The coverages for liability cost about $20-$25 of AMA individual dues, including the portion that is self insured by the AMA.
There is also secondary coverage for medical as well as coverage for fire, vandalism and theft. That's another story.
Hmm.... finally a better explanation of what it really is. I do have AMA insurance, simply because of membership with an AMA AST, requires it. Luckily, I have not used it at all. My home owners insurance does have a special "rider" to cover me in case of an accident. It is quite large since I also fly full scale. Interesting is that the field where most of us fly, is a public field and no AMA insurance is required, except when the local club has an "AMA sanctioned" fly in, or what ever.
Thanks for explaining.

It will be interesting to see what happens at your "public" field after the first time the public owners get sued.
Phil AMA609

So the implication is to fly at an AMA sanctioned field with all the other Dickhead misfits like you?
There is no such thing as an AMA sanctioned field.
--
Paul McIntosh
RC-Bearings.com

On Sat, 24 Dec 2005 16:36:12 GMT, "Eye Indo"

It depends on where the publc field is. In CA and some other states, the public entity that owns it cannot be sued unless they agree to be sued. Theory is people using public facilities should be responsible for their own actions. Odd concept, seems in conflict with the Great American Dream of Better Living Through Litigation.

Probably not many. Those that do may think they know what the insurance covers, and not. If they are reading the AMA insurance policy that is posted on the web site as I have, word from AMA insurance guru is that it is erroneous and does not reflect what is actually covered and excluded. See Addenda to minutes of the last EC meeting for some discussion of this, if interested. As you have HO and understand its terms, you probably are unlikely to be affected.
Abel
That is interesting as all public sites I have flown on all require AMA or some other form of liability insurance.
--
Paul McIntosh
RC-Bearings.com

The way the AMA coverage is structured, the landlord is covered regardless of the AMA or club affiliation of individual pilots. On the other hand, clubs and their officers are not covered for the flying actions of non-AMA members. This leaves the clubs and their officers in a position, if they have exclusive use of a public facility, where they generally do not allow non-AMA members to fly at the site, except when some special progam like the Intro Pilot Program is in place. IMO, it would not be very bright of the officers to assume responsibility by letting non-AMA members fly in this situation, and that is the conclusion of virtually every club in that position. When they do not have exclusive use, everything chanages.
This leads back to discussion of unlimited buddy boxing (put forth to the EC by one of the other posters on this thread) for all non-AMA members and to the discussion of tiered and/or low cost memberships. It seems there are many thoughts on how new members might be encouraged to experience the AMA.
Wow! I wouldn't be anywhere near there!
--
Paul McIntosh
RC-Bearings.com