AMA Nationwide Membership Drive 2009

Goal: To utilize/involve the Academy=92s largest outreach component=97the membership=97to recruit new members for the AMA so more people can participate in the fun of flying model airplanes.

Time Frame: April 1-September 14, 2009.

Methodology: Train, equip, and challenge the Academy=92s leadership with the knowledge and materials that will encourage and empower the average AMA member to recruit new members.

Relationships to other AMA membership-development programs: The Bringing Modelers Together Challenge replaces no current AMA membership-development program. All prizes and awards that are currently in effect will be honored in addition to the new incentives developed for this effort.

Membership Drive: This effort will center on a competition between the following groups to sign up the highest number of new members*. Awards/ recognition will be given to the highest producer in each division.

Club to Club: The highest number of new members* gained through the efforts of the club. Does not require that new members join the local club, but it is greatly encouraged. Calculations are based on new membership applications* with a club-orientation designation noted from April 1 through September 15, 2009.

There are five subdivisions for clubs in this competition: Small, membership of 5-10; Medium, membership of 11-24; Large, membership of

25-49; X Large, membership of 50-99; XX Large, membership of 100 or more.

Awards:

  1. Recognition in MA/Park Pilot and all Web sites as the top-producing club in each respective category.
  2. Brick in AMA =93Walk of Fame=94 in new club-recognition section denoting club winner for 2009.
  3. AMA banner and plaque proclaiming that =93TBA club signed up the largest number of AMA members in 2009.=94
  4. Waived recharter fees for 2010.
  5. Cash award of 0 to club.

District vice presidents are encouraged to develop a corresponding intradistrict =93Bringing Modelers Together Challenge=94 program, with recognition and awards within their respective districts, to encourage participation.

The AMA will develop support materials that can be used by AMA vice presidents, AMA associate vice presidents, AMA Leader Members, and AMA=92s general membership to recruit new members from April 1-October

2, 2009.

Materials/Actions Needs:

  1. Program-announcement materials and communications to AMA leadership and members.
  2. AMA application forms.
  3. FAQs sheet on membership recruitment.
  4. Poster suitable for club bulletin board, announcing the =93Bringing Modelers Together Challenge.=94
  5. Online registration to allow a sponsor/referring member or club to be recorded/tracked.

Time Line:

  1. ASAP: Presentation to Executive Council, using a teleconference call, of concept and components.
  2. Early February: Program-announcement materials and communications to AMA leadership and members developed.
  3. MA/Park Pilot and all Web site announcements developed and placed in April, May, June, July, August, and September issues.
  4. Monthly: Reports of membership challenge progress by all divisions reported in MA/Park Pilot and all Web sites in April, May, June, July, August, and September issues.
  5. March: Mail materials to all clubs.
  6. March: Push e-mail to all members.
  7. March: Push e-mail to all associate vice presidents.
  8. April, May, June, July, August, and September: Reminder push e-mail to all members and associate vice presidents with status-report information.
  9. October: Calculate and notify winners in each division. Announcement made at October Executive Council meeting.
  10. January 2010: Recognition of winners at January Executive Council meeting.
  11. January 2010: Begin planning for the 2010 membership drive.

Note: The Membership Department supervisor has the final say if there are questions about whether or not a particular application counts toward this promotion.

  • AMA Youth Memberships are ineligible for this promotion.

Approved by Executive Council telephone meeting February 9, 2009. Q

Reply to
sfrank69

Here, Sandy. Let me fix this post for you:

Leader Members want you to know:

  1. That Leader Members are far superior to ordinary members.

  1. Leader Members are here to care for you and make decisions for you.

  2. Only Lleader Members are equal to the task of making and changing rules for you. Obey or die.

  1. Leader Members will nurture you in your hobby. Just send the Leader Members your money.

  2. In order to prosper, Leader Members need MORE MEMBERS so please participate in this membership drive for 2009 by joining and sending the Leader Members your money. Leader Members will pretend that Leader Members are tearfully grateful for your efforts. That is, until the next issue that requires you to comply to some ridiculous new rule comes up. Then the Leader Members will completely ignore you and even look down on you as the Leader Members do whatever they want.

Welcome to the Leader Members' Club, otherwise known as the AMA.

Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

How many members do you have to recruit before you qualify for diamond direct?

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Return the AMA to its members. All of them.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 04:43:24 +0900 Ray Haddad remarked:

Exactly what I've been gripping about. If you want to get involved in the operations of and making of bylaws of the AMA, you've got to jumps through hoops and pay an extra fee to become a "Leader Member".

If you want people to get involved with the organization, then don't make it hard to do so. I don't know any leader members locally, I'm not an administrator, politician, or scientist, and my district VP is a dead end street. He makes noises about not liking the "leader Member" status to get involved, but he won't do anything about it.

The low life "regular" members can get a petition signed by 20 AMA members to get a bylaw change proposal put before the EC. A member of the EC can also propose a bylaw change. But what's the use, I know that a bylaw to eliminate the leader member status requirement to have a say on bylaws and further involvement in the AMA would never be ratified by the leader members. They wouldn't want to give up their "status"of being better than low life "regular" members.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I was a member many years ago and more than once. The reason was my overseas and continental US residence was very fluid and still is. So, when I need to be a member, I rejoin. When not, I let it lapse.

This is a club we're discussing here not a government body. There's no need for 50k members to have representatives who turn their noses up at the regular members and demand that they not post to threads here on a public forum. Leader members. Right. If you ask me, and you sort of did, they're not leaders at all. They're just snooty about their status which was granted them by, well, leader members.

You hit the nail on the head when it comes to making changes. Since voting rights were ceded to the executives and leader members, you'll never, ever get them back.

FYI, I don't for a minute want you to think I don't like the AMA. Quite the opposite is true. There's no easier way to conform to the rules of being a guest at a flying field than to pull out your current AMA card.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Hmmpf, Sounds more like Mary Kay than a hobby club...still no reason to rejoin.

Geezer

Reply to
Geezer

Returning the AMA to its members (re: Leader Member voting rules changes) would be a great idea . . . . once more than 10% of them show enough interest to get off their butts to vote in elections for EC members.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

See? This is part of the problem. It shouldn't matter how many vote. Disenfranchising members is the problem. Not how many of them vote.

The so called Leader Members have taken it upon themselves to pretend they know what's best for people they will never meet. Sad, really. Read the book Animal Farm some day. You'll get a clearer picture.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Heh. The AMA unilaterally decided to punish the 10% for what the 90% don't do. The punishment should fit the crime. Instead, they inflicted Leader Members upon everyone! That's cruel and unusual punishment.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

Never happen. 90 percent of the members only belong so they will have insurance, and the ability to fly at the club fields.

Even then, why worry about how many vote? In US elections, a high percentage never vote, and still that is how representatives are elected, and issues are voted upon.

Oh, wait, am I trying to recommend a good way to run an organization, like our country? I hope not.

Sorry, I lost my head for a minute.

Reply to
Morgans

to combat ---

much IGNORANCE HERE !!!

see:

get educated....

Reply to
sfrank69

Sandy, learn more about what the AMA was founded upon. Get back to me when you can really lead. You are no longer a Leader Member. I have stripped you of that title forever. Deal.

-- Ray

Reply to
Ray Haddad

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:03:09 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

That is asinine. Only people who have had administrative experience in the model club, or scientific experience relating to modeling, or those who own a business related to modeling are eligible for leader member status. This cuts out a lot of people who might otherwise be interested in being involved in what goes on in the AMA.

It is this very elitism that I find distasteful. If we don't match those qualifications, we get no say in this organization. That is a load of crap.

Reply to
Vance Howard

On Wed, 11 Mar 2009 16:03:09 -0700 (PDT) snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com remarked:

Sandy Frank, you should shut up before you embarrass yourself any further.

Reply to
Vance Howard

Am happy to see that you are expanding your education..

Well done!!

keep up the learning...

work on language improvement some also...

it shows education or lack of it........

Reply to
sfrank69

Yes, we know, we have seen your posts before.

Reply to
Bob Cowell

Well if you can't qualify for Leader Member status you could run for President of the United States - or a seat in congress.

You have plenty of say in the AMA organization if you take the time to vote. It does help to be familiar with the issues facing the organization however. Again, not a requirement to vote for senators, representatives or President.

Reply to
Red Scholefield