Executive Director Volunteer Position, AMA

AMA EVP election coming in October.
The AMA Executive Vice President (EVP) is AMA's Chief Financial
Officer (CFO). He guards AMA funds as your wife does yours. :-)
AMA's EVP/CFO should function as both financial overseer and a
promoter of programs enhancing all model aviation, yet expanding the
main revenue source - membership.
Four items demand attention now (there are others): 1. Ensuring any IRC
501 (c) (3) non-related business is profitable, 2. Increasing the
membership, 3. Ensuring governmental agencies are aware of AMA's
recreational benefits along with such as the FAI program's
International Good-Will, and 4. Flying facility acquisition.
These items are too entwined to establish a firm priority. Each will
take time along with refinements in other programs, from less
restrictive insurance, to the possibility of an AMA Foundation.
"Model Aviation" (MA) can and should be a profitable AMA unit. Yet, it
now directly costs the membership almost as much as insurance, and
indirectly more than insurance, as all MA staff but one, are accounted
for under AMA Staff expense. Comparing ad. rates, AMA is 2nd lowest,
yet double in circulation of other top media. Bringing ad rates to
competitive levels can: 1. Return nearly 1.5 million dollars to AMA
profit, and 2. Restore the modeling media's support of AMA programs.
Other media even sell on newsstands. Their support of AMA reaching
outside the choir will motivate other modelers to investigate this
organized AMA modeling, thus helping increase membership.
Membership numbers indicate trouble. End of year results: 2000 -
165,365, 2001 - 170,754, 2002 - 173,420, 2003 - 168,075, 2004 -
163,709. Electric modeling's boom definitely evidences many people
still love things that fly. With outreach and new direction, some will
join AMA.
AMA's investment and marketing income cannot compare to losing 5000
members ($290,000) far exceeding certain AMA forecasts for various
marketing schemes. Retaining 5000 members, rather than losing 5000,
plus adding another 5000 results in 10,000 members worth $580,000. Now
increase next year by 5% and you then have $449,500 providing a 2nd
year over a million "yankee-dollars" better. More membership is the
financial answer.
Using all media support, AMA can easily enhance both the public's and
governmental agencies' knowledge of our educational and recreational
sport by providing communications to all departments along with TV
networks about all activities, from the US State Department about FAI
programs' International Goodwill right down to the NATs youngster's
picture in the local newspaper. As the information comes and comes,
some will pay attention.
Auto manufacturers pay millions to TV, yet not everyone buys the
product, but some do. AMA can also obtain "some". I will also
ensure that you, the individual member, will have the opportunity to
know all that is happening, either by MA column, or by other means.
As governmental agencies become informed, local Clubs and Groups will
find their local governments to be more receptive to those providing
worthwhile recreational activities if they have a place to do so. While
some with good ideas suggest AMA purchase and provide flying sites, as
one with some real estate experience, I think AMA now lacks resources
to burden itself in such expense. In the shorter term, AMA needs to
provide local Clubs with an informed local government to approach.
Without a facility, a club cannot function.
My advisor resources can provide both you and the EC all needed
information reference those things AMA needs for better use of current
tools, growth in membership, finance resources, and outside awareness.
Only your use of the ballot will determine if AMA maintains its current
downslide or redirects to a strong and better organization, one you
will be proud to be a member of.
Horrace Cain, AMA L-93
Nominee AMA Executive Vice President
31619 Bohlssen Rd.
New Caney, TX 77357
July 23, 2005
Reply to
cainhd
You really want a "volunteer" for this?! Seems to me it should be a paid position and the person should be an experienced professional from the government sector working in public relations.
Reply to
Jim Slaughter
Well, Jim, it ain't a paid position. It is the volunteers that keep AMA together as well as it is.
Someone has to do it. I have been a hard-core model airplane person for as long as I can remember. I've been hooked since about 63 years ago, when I first started building Megow and Joe Ott kits, . Got my Contest Director's license in '63 in my 20's, and became an AMA Leader member in '64. Been at it ever since. Was a RC Contest Coordinator, and then a District Vice President. Now I keep trying to get back to the EC. Actually these jobs should be Volunteer as only volunteers are concerned with the sport / hobby more so than pleasing the boss. OTOH the real boss, the voting membership, just seems to disregard its responsibility and fails to keep the AMA a lean mean machine to serve its main charge which is to PROMOTE and foster model aviation. Your help will be welcome.
Reply to
cainhd

Site Timeline