AMA now scaming?

Went to the post office box and found a box from AMA. In it was a collectors coin, DVD, and a lot of BS paper implying I need to subscribe to
their DVD / Coin of the month club or return the items. In the middle of this sea of sales pitch there is one line about they sent this to me uninvited and I don't have to pay for the items or return them, but I am not a very nice person if I don't do one or the other. What the hell is going on at AMA? This is the kind of shit I expect from some low life book of the month club or crappy CD / DVD club, not an organization of AMA's level. What next at AMA? A publishers clearing house sweepstakes scam? Mr. Brown needs to pull his head out of his rump, because if this is an indication of things to come then it is time for me to rethink AMA membership.
Bob Ruth
Change the & to an and to email me.
ANYTHING you receive in the mail UNSOLICITED is considered a GIFT and DOES NOT HAVE TO BE RETURNED. In addition, the company/person who sent it can not dun you for payment or return of the item. That is considered harrasement.

Think it would be interesting to follow the money trail on this one?
Phil AMA609
Ted Campanelli wrote:

not
sent
subscribe to

middle of

me
I am

hell is

life book

AMA's
scam? Mr.

I wouldn't pay for it out of principle! Enjoy the DVD (if it worth anything) and use the coin for ballast!
--
Paul McIntosh
http://www.rc-bearings.com

Any way you can scan or take a picture for the rest of us to see. I can take care of hosting it. If this is true, more people need to find out. This type of thing is very low.
Bruth wrote:

What's the big deal? Keep it, throw it away, or whatever. It's not worth getting all bent out of shape over.

Actually it is, it's a big deal. The AMA is supposed to be an organization that we pay to represent our interests and provide insurance, not to fleece us with unsolicited junk. It is something to get bent out of shape about indeed, if it's true.

I received my disk and medallion yesterday.
The DVD is pretty nice.
I intend not to pay for it. If I had had a vote, I would have voted against using this technique for fundraising. It's one thing to put the DVD on sale through normal means and another to send it out in a mass mailing, knowing that, on average, a sufficient percentage of recipients will pay up to make a profit on the deal.
                Marty

I do not appreciate being coerced by appealing to my sense of loyalty. To me, this is the lowest form of marketing in existence.
Ed Cregger TAS

So it looks like it is true. AMA has adopted one of the lowest forms of junk mail marketing tricks. Send someone an unsolicited item, hopefully they will feel obligated to pay for it, hopefully they will not find the buried disclaimer about not having to return it or pay for it. Nice, very nice!

I have been looking for something insignificant, unimportant and flat-out of no consequence to bitch and belly-ache about all day. Stop pissing in my bowl of wheaters! <G>
Ed Cregger TAS
FrankC29 wrote: Snip

The disclaimer is not buried it is on the very front of the letter. I do not feel obligated to purchase but I do think that I want to keep it and receive others like it. So I will give the AMA the $9.00 for this DVD and take a look at what others they have to offer. The nice thing is that I'm not obligated to order anything and that it cost me nothing to return what I do not want to keep. I think it is better than purchasing a DVD from the AMA's website because I have no way to preview and decide if the video I'm purchasing is what I really want. John

Well then whenever I feel like selling something, I will not bother with ebay, I will just mail it to you with a bill.
HEHE!
--
Paul McIntosh
http://www.rc-bearings.com
"FrankC29" < snipped-for-privacy@nowhere.com> wrote in message
Ed,
There is a lower form of marketing - ever got a call from a telephone huckster who didn't want anything from YOU, but they wanted you to send out a solicitation to fleece all your neighbors on their behalf?? Now, that's low!
John
The Amazing Seismo wrote:

Yes, I've been solicited for such service before. You are right, it is low. But I wasn't expecting such an honorable organization as the AMA to stoop so low. Oh well, records are meant to be broken.
Ed Cregger

FrankC29 wrote:

I still disagree. It says it can be kept for free. It says it can be returned, and from what I read there is a prepaid return label. I would hope people who are smart enough to make a plane fly would be smart enough to read the package and decide whether to keep the free gift, return it, or pay for it. All this fuss over something so petty is pathetic. Every organization is looking for ways to raise extra money to keep member dues down. Get used to life in the 21st century.

We shouldn't have to be smart enough, that's the point. If they want to raise extra money, do it honorably. The way they went about this is what's pathetic. Very pathetic. They are going to get an earful, and deservedly so. We have to deal with enough junk in our lives as it is. What's next?

what's
deservedly so.

I agree 100%. I sincerely hope the AMA didd some serious marketing studies that showed enough members will buy that disc, and others in the series, to pay for the unsolicited mailing.
They spent mucho denario on this idea, and never asked a soul from the membership-at-large. I assume the great exalted EC voted for it.
And here's a kicker. How many of you got more than one? My wife and I are both members, and we BOTH got a disc. about 3 days apart. I wonder if my Junior member 13 y.o. daughter will get one, too?
You're right, it's pathetic!
I sincerely hope my Dist. IV VP didn't go along with this...
Dr1