AMA now scaming?

Exactly . I wonder where the investment money came from to do this. Geeeeez i didnt get one. they must not like me.

Reply to
jim breeyear

this could be true......but what will they try next???

Reply to
jim breeyear

I smell a red herring

Reply to
jim breeyear

So, having lost the debate, you now attempt to defame those you disagree with by posing a rhetorical question that is meant to show the victors in a bad light. Come on, Mike. You can do better than that.

Drug dealers are only trying to make money to survive. Should we let them off the hook because they are only trying to make money? What about those selling illegal weapons to children? After all, they have to eat too. It is the same thing, but a different degree. AMA knows that modelers tend to be altruistic, patriotic and honest. Taking advantage of those traits are precisely what the NRA has tried to do, cost to the membership be damned (not just dollars).

It is not their job to manipulate us through psychology. THAT is what is pissing us off.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

YOU haven't answered any questions except the one regarding your allegiances.

You posted the EC minutes as "proof" of your opinions but most of what was posted seems to contrdict what you say, especially the part about how some third party got AMA members names and addresses without their express consent.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

How could they be trying to interest NEW people when they are only sending to existing members? No mention in the EC minutes about buying other lists to spam at.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Paul, YOU have lost track of who posted what. This is why you can't remember that your questions were answered.

Reply to
C G

Why don't you do that - mail me all your stuff with a bill *and* a disclaimer that I can keep it and don't have to pay! Sounds like a good deal to me ;-)

Reply to
Ed Forsythe

I suspect even JFK would agree that pissing on a forest fire doesn't constitute a program of action! They need to act but before they do, they need to get their act together! They can't even agree (nor can this group) on what the basic problem is. Let alone what to do about it!

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Come on guys you're making much out of little. The AMA makes money if some think the DVD /medallion is worth contributing to the AMA. If not they keep both and walk away smiling. As far as mailbox clutter is concerned we'd be better off lobbying our congressional reps to prohibit all unsolicited mail by a "Do not post" list. THE AMA IS THE *ONLY* REASON RCers HAVE DEDICATED FREQUENCIES TODAY AND THAT UC TYPES HAVE MUNICIPAL FIELDS etc. If you don't like the direction in which the AMA is moving - CHANGE IT. DB floated an idea that may or may not have merit. Our elected reps will discus it debate it and hopefully do the right thing for all of us. J.C., people can post a question or a plea for help and get a few replies but just post *any* statement about the AMA and the thread will go on forever! AFAIK, this is a no lose money making plan - no fraud because you have a clearly defined/explained choice and you don't have to do anything without incurring any penalty. What's better than that? Don't bother with any flames, name calling, threatening my family, dog, or me because I won't bite and

*that's'* a fact!!
Reply to
Ed Forsythe

Ed , I'm just voicing my opinion, and not intending to defame anyone.

Rhetorical question? Sure why not? Judging from the lack of participation if the recent AMA elections, I'd say it's a fair assumption that more than a few here didn't. My point is if you didn't vote...you have no right to bitch. I voted (and not for Mr. Brown for that matter), and I'm betting you voted too.

While this mailing isn't going to draw new people, the program itself may. The DVDs could be shown to schools, scout troops, 4H groups, Kiwanis, Rotary, at club malls shows....whatever. The coin? I could care less. Maybe they were a bit overzealous in the way it was introduced. Time will tell.

Trying and failing is infinitely preferable to doing nothing at all.

Just my humble .02 worth.

Mike

Reply to
Mike Bealmear

Part of the problem, perhaps the largest part of the problem, is that many of us remember a more polite way of living, Ed. I'm sure you do to, since you are older than me.

AMA stepped on a land mine in this newsgroup. It would have gone off had any other passers by stepped on it.

I'm not vehemently pissed at anyone at AMA. I'm just sad to see one of the last stalwart organizations catch up with modern fund raising techniques.

If it saves the AMA and preserves the level of present services, most of us will probably grudgingly admit that it was okay in a short while. What ticks me off is that the folks that planned all of this knew this too!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

I concur with your basic premise, although I don't like to see devicive (sp?) statements. That is my problem, not yours.

I did vote, by the way.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
The Amazing Seismo

Point taken Ed. Thanks for the "debate".

Regards, Mike

Reply to
Mike Bealmear

Rogie! crawl back into your hole and go back to sleep.

I have no use for SPAM and SCAM and neither do many other people. Next it will be AMA spamming all the newsgroups and your email.

Reply to
Sparky

So you agree that AMA sold the member list to a mass marketing company. Watch your mailboxes for "gifts" from other organizations. The marketing company will make the most of the list at its disposal.

Reply to
Sparky

That is AFTER they have sold your name to a mass marketer who may use it to send you many "special" offers.

Reply to
Sparky

Obviously you have no principles or you would not advocate scams like this.

Reply to
Sparky

Wrong again! Money from using the mailing list for other "special" offers that may include tha AMA or may not.

Reply to
Sparky

I agree with no such thing. This discussion was winding down a day or two ago, go back to sleep Sparky.

Reply to
C G