AMA DVD

You guys are having so much fun speculating I almost hate to post something factual. Well, almost :)

From the July 2004 EC Minutes at

"T. Schwyn has been working with various groups offering affinity programs. Of the proposals he has reviewed, he thought the TN proposal would produce the most favorable results and not cost the Academy anything to participate. A handout was offered and a brief presentation given. Schwyn did visit the facility in Minneapolis/St. Paul area and found it to be very professional. Schwyn proposes that AMA proceed to the sampling stage of the program. When asked who owns the copyright to the DVDs/tapes/books of the product, Schwyn thought TN would hold it for the first 18 months after which the AMA would own it. He would however, get confirmation of this. The members would be contacted and asked if they would like to receive this product; only those who choose to would receive it. AMA would not give up any rights to the membership list and they only have access to the database if AMA allows. As far as content, AMA has full input over the content and the right of refusal of any content. AMA would insist that mailings be done through a third party mailing house; T. Schwyn thought TN would be agreeable to this. Length of the sampling video would be around 10-20 minutes with the full production video being anywhere from 45 minutes to one and one half hours. Average price for production per piece is $17.00-$19.95. If AMA chooses, the video would contain trailers leading individuals not already AMA members to the organization. TN would look for direction from AMA in marketing to those outside the existing membership. T. Schwyn will develop a plan to market this video to the general masses in an effort to generate interest and membership in AMA. A straw poll of Council showed that T. Schwyn should proceed with the project."

From the January 2005 EC Minutes at

"The pilot run of DVDs (revenue generating program) went well; will proceed with a full launch (Volume 1) of 50,000 pieces later in February and work has started on Volumes 2 and 3. The cost of the introductory DVD was $9; the average cost for future pieces will be between $17.95 and $18.95/piece. The revenue for AMA is 8% of sales and the current forecast is approximately $50,000/year. It was stated that VHS tapes would be available (through TN) if the amount of requests warranted it."

Reply to
J_R

"The members would be contacted and asked if they would like to receive this product; only those who choose to would receive it."

Looks like THAT happened.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

An isn't this a bit hazy? Did they allow it or not? The third party mailer, database or no, has our addresses, and knows what one of our main interests are. This is just one area the AMA should not have gone into. As far as I can tell, they never have before. Why did they do it now?

Reply to
FrankC29

Ah Yes here comes the toy soldier DISCIPLE direct from AMA with all the words that all of us unwashed peons down here should bow to, and by all means NEVER question. (;-()<

Ya'll be gentle with JR. He is programed to parrot just what the DB/EC would have you believe. He displays little perception of his own when he is on one of these rolls. Reading JR is time for chips and salsa and a cold one or at least a bag of popcorn.

HC

Reply to
cainhd

Well... that's not how they did it. They also include the member response card, but there are only two options.... "I and sending you $10 and want to join your movie club" and "I am returning the DVD and do not want to be in your club"

There is no option for "I am keeping this free, unsolicited gift but do not want to join your club."

Oh... you can return the DVD at no cost. If you elect to keep the video, pay for it, and return the response card, you're on the hook for the postage.

Quite honestly, had I opened the attached envelope first, I'd have returned the package today. Of course, being a guy, I opened the box before opening the letter. This left the box a complete mess. I'm not going to put the effort into taping it back up since there's no packing tape on my desk. If I think of it next time I'm in the garage, I might bring a roll in and send it back then.

Let's hope this remains true, but of course, they HAVE accessed the AMA database. I get enough junk mail and spam already. Given that for the last 2 years I have only flown "outlaw" fields, I have a good mind to not renew my AMA membership when it comes up next year.

10 minutes is worth $10? 45 minutes is worth $17? That's as crazy as every show on DSC/TLC being available for $30.

Lessee.... at $19/video, at 8%, that's $1.52 per DVD. They're going to sell 33,000 DVDs a year, or nearly 2,800 every month?

Not to me, and if I get one piece of aviation-related junk mail, the AMA is going to hear about it. I already get some aviation junk mail, but not often... literally two or three times a year... from two different organizations, plus maybe once a year from AOPA.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

Ok, so how many of the people who received this mailing formally opted into it? By the postings here, everyone who received it were not given an opportunity to do so and the rest of the AMA membership was not given the opportunity. Therefore, the names and addresse (at LEAST) were given to a third party without the express permission of the members.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I got the DVD. Didnt know anything about it till the first post here, checked my mailbox and found it there about a half hour later. Was never asked if I was interested other than in the literature included with the DVD. They sent it to me, its a decent walk to the mailbox, I am keeping it as a free gift. Might have missed it but I never could find what the "Regular Member Price" was for the things.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

JR...

Horrace appears to be correct in this case...

YOU iniated a post that consisted ENTIRELY of Dave Brown's words...

Further down in the thread you comment, "sideshow, Please be more judicious in your use of quotes. There is nothing in the post that should be attributed to me. Thanks

JR "...... And you are correct. None of the words in the post were yours.

As Horrace pointed out, You merely "parrot" Dave Brown....

Useless rhetoric with no perception of your own .........

Bill

Reply to
Bill Fulmer

You certainly proved you don't have the attention span to read the entire thread (not post.. thread) that I pointed out.

future.>> >>> > > J_R wrote:>> > Ya'll be gentle with JR. He is programed to parrot just what the DB/EC>> > would have you believe. He displays little perception of his own when>> > he is on one of these rolls. Reading JR is time for chips and salsa and>> > a cold one or at least a bag of popcorn.>> >>> > HC>> JR...>> Horrace appears to be correct in this case...>>

YOU iniated a post that consisted ENTIRELY of Dave Brown's words...>> Further down in the thread you comment, "sideshow, Please be morejudicious> in your use of quotes. There is nothing in the post that should be> attributed to me. Thanks>> JR "...... And you are correct. None of the words in the post wereyours.>> As Horrace pointed out, You merely "parrot" Dave Brown....>>

Useless rhetoric with no perception of your own .........>> Bill>>>>>>>>

Reply to
J_R

"Bill

Reply to
J_R

Bill, Are we to assume that since this is the opinion of an AMA Associate Vice President we should take some special action?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High