AMA Bylaws VOTE !

Hello ALL,
As a leader member of the AMA,
you will soon be sent a ballot to consider an AMA Bylaws change to institute
TERM LIMITS for AMA Executive Council membership..
I would like to share my feelings that the ""unintended consequences of a YES vote""
while on the surface seems sound, this bylaws change would take the representative selection away from the MEMBERSHIP and is not in the long term interest and good of the AMA.
It would give the selection of your representative over to the in house AMA politicks...
It is my TRUE FEELINGS that such a bylaws change would not be in the best interest of the AMA nor the majority of the membership...
PLEASE review this ballot in light of all its consequences....
and VOTE AGAINST IT !!!
Best regards,
Dr.Sandy Frank snipped-for-privacy@comcast.net phone: 765-212-2340 AMA Life Member/Membership in the Grade of Fellow 2009-02-20
I think that I would tend to agree with this, but, to be more effective it might be better if you or someone else more fully elaborate the reasoning behind this. I will try to do so now.
(1) Term limits may tend to force the best qualified and most experienced person from holding the position.
(2) If we applied term limits to both houses US congress we would be stuck with a bunch of newbie's that don't know what they are doing running things.

On Sat, 21 Feb 2009 08:12:58 -0600, "Peter Olcott"

As opposed to the people that are up there now???
--
David

They KNOW what they are doing, you haven't figured it out yet. Maybe you will when the income tax rate breaks 50% again. More taxes to make the economy healthier is the mantra.
in message wrote:

Yes but if they had term limits then the average congressman might not know enough to not start World War III (Armageddon).
Peter Olcott wrote:

and if you read history at all, the founding fathers actually had it in mind that the Congress seat WOULD be temporary - go to Washington, serve a few years and go back home. It wasn't until the late 19th/early 20th century that it became a "full time career".
I am for term limits........ Yes, term limits can get rid of a good person. But by the same token, it can get rid of a bad one too. Does anyone remember Mr. McNeil the previous VP from Florida? Several times an effort was made to defeat him. IIRC, he didn't even fly at all. It is sad he had to die to be replaced.
As most of you know it is extremely hard to beat an encombant regardless if he is good or bad. Only about 1% of AMA general membership even bothers to vote.
For those bothered about the leader members being the ones to vote on bylaw changes, leader members vote on bylaw changes whereas all members vote for the representives. I do not have a problem with that because this keeps many short time members from upsetting the apple cart. BTW, I am a general member.
On Feb 23, 5:49 am, snipped-for-privacy@aol.com wrote:

You my friend were in the MINORITY !! wanting JIM McN to be removed ( proven by the voters ) ( I even would have not voted for him)
if MOST wanted him gone he would have been voted out
MOST VOTERS wanted him IN..
TERM LIMITS would have done what MOST members did not want
now do you see why this is BAD ???
take YOUR personal feelings about JIM out of this consideration...
similar feelings is why some support it...
what is in the overall best interest and the good....????
I was probably one of the most active members in D-V working to have Jim McNeill replaced. He stayed in office by manipulating the system, and the EC under Dave Brown (who could always count on JM's vote)allowed him to get away with it even to the point of allowing him to appoint a successor that wasn't even a Leader Member (as required) until JM bypassed all the rules and made her one.
As more and more people became aware of his actions he would have been soundly defeated in the next election had he lived that long. He carried the last two elections only because he had nominated a couple of his fans as spoiler votes so that he barely made it by a plurality vote.
Even with the McNeil experience, I didn't then or do I now, want to see the vote of the membership compromised by term limits
--
Red Scholefield
AMA 951 Dist. V
On Feb 23, 6:30�am, snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote:

Mr Frank,
Please show me were in the following statement I made, where personal feelings are displayed.

I believe I was just stating the facts as backed up by a following statement by Red S. Mr. McNeil was not even in my district. This is simply an example where term limits would have worked.
The same people that took over a brothel with a liquor license in Nevada and it then it went broke?
Red S.

How many people know that the nomination committee is the EC. If a dud candidate (even one presently in office) chooses to run again he must be nominated? He can be kept off the ballot by a 3/4 vote of those VPs voting. Article IX, Section 2. http://www.modelaircraft.org/files/Memanual.PDF
I don't know if this option has ever been taken, but there certainly was one instance where the EC was negligent in this manner.
That is water under the damn. AMA has new leadership and I hope we don't screw it up by imposing term limits on them.
--
Red Scholefield
AMA 951 Dist. V

LOL...thanks for the memory. Now if you look at how this thread is going, you'll be reminded why I walked away sometime ago. Why I decided the AMA was tore up from the floor up worse than congreass or the OTHER AMA that is about motorcycles. Life is too short to hang around whiners, cries and wannbe bossman types.
Looks like I'm out of here for good, I've no time or tolerence for whining, bitching, moaning and other such nonsense. p.s. I DO NOT belong to any organizations political, social, religious or otherwise. The stink of the selfinterested and bossy britches makes me sick. -- Keith
So you just sit back, suck on your beer and reap the benefits won by those who participate in the Democratic process. I really don't mind, just don't disguise your laziness with that ridiculous excuse. Out!
wrote:

LOL...thanks for the memory. Now if you look at how this thread is going, you'll be reminded why I walked away sometime ago. Why I decided the AMA was tore up from the floor up worse than congreass or the OTHER AMA that is about motorcycles. Life is too short to hang around whiners, cries and wannbe bossman types.
Looks like I'm out of here for good, I've no time or tolerence for whining, bitching, moaning and other such nonsense. p.s. I DO NOT belong to any organizations political, social, religious or otherwise. The stink of the selfinterested and bossy britches makes me sick. -- Keith

And the one who has learned to manipulate things to his/her advantage as in DC?

As it is now, a well meaning person is sent to DC and corrupted by the v eteran politicians. The original intent of our founders was that our representatives in DC would serve their term and then go home and take care of their business.
--
Anyolmouse

Quote: Originally Posted by Dadstoysbg As a leader member myself I have serious reservations myself. I would like someone to give me both the pros and cons on the subject. When the ballot come I'll have to give it a lot of thought. Dennis
I can give you ""both the pros and cons on the subject""
but you already know where I stand...
PLEASE be SURE that when others give you
"both the pros and cons on the subject"
you do know where they stand...
this bylaws ballot was WRITTEN by those that SUPPORT IT..
and you will not see the opposition when you read it...
PLEASE LOOK at WHY those that support it do so??
please look for the underlie-ing meanings
and unintended consequences...
look at WHO would benefit from TERM LIMITS???
the VOTERS???? who would loose their choice...???
this has the possibility to DO what the voters would NOT do nor want!!!
(it is the only way that the supporters can get their way...against the voters)
PLEASE READ BETWEEN the lines!!!
Voluntary TERM LIMITS YES I did it to ME!!!
but a bylaws choice to overturn what the majority MAY want is just WRONG !!!
PLEASE look who wins and looses via this bylaws change!!!
Sandy Frank ph: 765-212-2340
The AMA EC has TERM LIMITS NOW..
it is called the VOTERS and their VOTE...
this would REMOVE THIS !!!

agreed
as the unintended consequences are BIG
( and can not be FIXXED)
and where needed the voters can do the deed...
( and FIX any problem)
this TERM LIMITS is just WRONG...
please do not let this be considered as the USA Congress...
the VOTER HAS TERM LIMITS there also...
think it over WHO gets WHAT with TERM LIMITS ???
do the membership voters???
many relate this to the USA congress and District 5
which it IS NOT...
if the representative is in NEED of replacement the voters can and will do IT...
it has been done OFTEN
G.Aldrice unseated Gene Hemple
as did Andy Argenieo and Bill Oberdike...
someone else related the following:
Say the incumbent happens to be doing a great job, but has completed his 3 terms, then along comes some jerk that gets himself nominated and is the sole nominee. You will have to accept the jerk regardless of how qualified he may be.
Our representatives should be voted in as well as out.
Best regards,