AMA sending you a video unsolicited?

They just sent me a dvd video on a preview status and if I decided to keep it would have to pay $9.00 for it.

But according to

I don't have to pay for any items sent to me without my consent. I did not order it and never agreed to preview it.

Thank you AMA for the free video.

Reply to
Vance

The letter that accompanied my DVD noted that it could be kept without sending any money back, but I chose to return it anyway.

Reply to
Dan Wenz

I received their CD disk-a-ma-jigger and medallion the other day (Friday). It is now in the mailbox marked with the notation "return to sender".

It won't take much of this nonsense before I resign from the AMA. I'm not a thief, so I won't keep their merchandise without paying for it. I do not pay for unsolicited products - period.

Mr. Brown and associates had better remove their heads from their asses before we begin resigning in droves.

NI

Reply to
notimprest

I forgot to add to my previous msg., when I called the AMA to find out what the rest of the collection contained, they didn't know (yet). I believe the rest of the "collection" hasn't been made yet.

Reply to
Dan Wenz

I got a free vid too. But, I think your biggest prob. is your mail carrier, most of us got ours a long time ago. :) mk "Vance" have to pay for any items sent to me without my consent. I did not order

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

"Storm's Hamburgers" wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@corp.supernews.com...

The medallion that came with mine did look a bit pocket worn....

NI

Reply to
notimprest

================================================ The ones going out now are probably the returns from the original mailing. My brother, and several of our club members, got it a few months ago. I did not get one at that time, and other club members were also left out. I did receive one Thursday or Friday.

Reply to
Carrell

They said if it was returned, they would send it to someone else. I decided to help out on the postage that would occur both ways and I will just give it to another club member directly.

Reply to
IFLYJ3

There has been and will alway be probably, a lot of AMA bashing. While I do not agree with a lot of what is going on, remember that the AMA is all we have to protect us from the Federal Government and the cell phone lobby and other lobbies wanting the frequencies we enjoy.

As far as the CD goes, it is rather nice. I will probably send in the nine bucks but what bothers me is that the paper work states that other CDs will be sent at some unknown cost plus unknown shipping and handling charges. Will it be nine bucks? Will they have a post paid return envelope, I doubt that.

As far as Brown goes, what I feel is really not ethical is that he uses his personal business E-mail address to sign his editorals. Free business advertising. Why not use the AMA E-mail address for his official duties?

My five cents worth, Regards Gene

Reply to
Gene

The problem you face now is the AMA has released your AMA related info to a third party. There have been reports by others of an increase in unsolicited adds since the arrival of the DVD. In spite of the claims by all parties that your info is still protected. What the real truth is anyone guess but, beware! And if you suspect your AMA info has been compromised, pitch a major bitch! AMA has a small yet verifiable history of releasing personal info without permission. One of the reasons I decided I don't need them.

Chuck

Reply to
Chuck Jones

I heard where AMA is re-sending all those that were returned. Shipping them out to new addresses. Must really be pushing it hard.

I say keep the things without paying. Maybe they'll get the idea then?

Reply to
Chuck Jones

Here we go again! If it makes some of you feel like a BIG man to keep the video without paying, then do so since you legally can. They have a box that if checked, says you do not wish to receive anymore of these. They even included a POSTAGE PAID label to return the video. If you do not do this simple act, you will receive more of the videos that you can keep and feel like a big man again. For those of you bitching about your personal info possibly being released by the AMA, well, Ace, I hate to tell you this; your personal info is readily available on the internet. I'm sure you were getting junk mail before you got this video and I'm sure you will get junk mail after this video. But those of you complaining about the video will blame the AMA for this junk mail.

Reply to
Marvin

I just received their "HIGH TOUTED" CD/DVD. I have no idea what is on it since it will not open with either Real Player, or Windows Media Player. Just 2 folders on the disk, and one of them is empty.

Perhaps if it worked/opened, I might even be interested. At present the disk is residing at the local land fill. That is where you put garbage, isn't it ?

Oh well, what did I expect for "unsolicited" mail/products.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Why RESIGN from AMA? Why not make AMA better? The annual AMA elections provide the AMA members with a method to get their points across and therefore better serve AMA as well as the membership overall. Check AMA

On the homepage is a request for nominations to the Executive Council. Nominate someone for YOUR District VP if your district is included this year. Then Nominate a new Executive Vice President -- Chief Financial Officer -- and if your nominee gets on the ballot, then get out and get your AMA member-friends to vote for Your Nominee. Spread the word on all the modeling forums.

Resigning accomplishes nothing. Stand up and be counted.

Reply to
cainhd

Do you have a DVD player installed on your computer? Niether Real Player or Windows Media Player comes with a DVD codec installed. If you install a 3rd party DVD player WMP and RP pick it up. I just borrowed the DVD from a friend who got it, and while I haven't watched the whole thing yet, I'm not terribly impressed...

PCPhill

Reply to
PCPhill

I'm too sick and I'm too tired to be bothered, Horace. The young'uns will have to fill in for me, as I did for the old and infirm when I was young.

Between my homeowner's policy and our business insurance, the AMA insurance would ever be lucky to kick in if there were an incident requiring its service.

I'm trying to figure out, without delving too deeply, why the AMA feels it needs so much money. This concerns me, a little. But not enough to get involved in extensive reading., if you know what I mean.

I should probably have just thrown the damned things in the trash and not given it a second thought. The world doesn't shape itself to meet my expectations. Especially these days.

NI

Reply to
notimprest

I've been an AMA supporter for nearly forty-five years, Tom. I still think it is the greatest institution for modeling that ever existed. It's the current bunch of toeheads that are running things that I am a bit perturbed with over this matter.

Sometimes folks exagerate a bit when blowing off steam. That is what I was doing. Don't let it ruin your day.

NI

Reply to
notimprest

While it is true that legally you do not have to pay for this video, I wonder why you would not take the few minutes necessary to return it. While AMA may have it's problems, it's the best, and virtually the only game in town for modelers. My view is that you are only hurting yourself and your fellow modelers by keeping the video.

Sure, by all means complain to AMA if you take exception to the manner in which they are marketing this video, but don't take advantage of your fellow modelers because someone in Muncie may have used poor judgment.

As the saying goes: Why cut off your nose to spite your face?

Just my opinion.

Tom

Reply to
Judy Bubb

Yep. I have a DVD RW AND a DVD player drive. Both work perfectly when playing movies (from DVD disks ), backing up the computer and restoring (Backup My PC and Norton Ghost) and playing D/L video clips.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

They actually sent me a bill for the thing about a week ago and the wording was pretty much that I owed em $10 for it. Filed it in the same place that I filed the DVD.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople