"TracksThrough Time" . A great video.

I just watched the DVD a friend sent me. What an interesting video. It's centered around the "Durango and Silverton " narrow gauge line.
It has some real breathtaking shots taken through the rockies.
The most interesting part , IMO , is the complete rebuild of a K 36 that was hauled in on tractor trailers. It looked as though it was only fit for the scrap yard.
They machined most all the new parts required on site and this included most every part that moved and many that didn't. .
They covered all this in great detail and explained it as they did. I never realized just how complex a steam engine is until I saw this. I'm amazed at the technology of that time period.
I think any railfan would find this very interesting , especially the 'narrow' minded folks such as myself.
Ken
On Tue, 13 Nov 2007 09:30:17 GMT, ken day wrote:

There used to be an online diary of the restoration of the Fort Wayne Railroad Historical Society's NKP 765, lots of detailed photos of dismantling the running gear, rebuilding the boiler, sending the srivers out for machining, etc., etc. - a really great resource, but evidently someone decided it was not worth keeping up on the web, as I can not find it anywhere. Too bad.
--
Steve