Want a discount on your AMA dues and drop MA?

Dr. Sandy Frank has posted this most generous offer on the D-VIII e-mail list:

Hello, All,

With RED and some others that he has stirred up on the internet contacting many on the AMA EC & begging them to CANCEL their subscription to MA.. and give them a DISCOUNT !!!

I am prepaired to DO JUST THAT !!!

As District VIII VP I purchase at regular library discount rates

(and pay out of district funds)

several subscriptions to MA each year to donate to schools and libraries...

MY cost that I pay to AMA is $ 12.00 per year... (that is the library rate that any library or school can request)

so what a better time than 1/1/2005

to institute REDS proposal...

I am willing to offer to repurchase the rights ((to any member who lives

in AMA DISTRICT VIII ( TX, NM, OK, AR or LA)) for their MODEL AVIATION SUBSCRIPTION for 2005.

Please contact ME directly and personally about this... ( snipped-for-privacy@AMA-Dist-8.org )

I will need your permission in writing and once that the address is changed for the magizine

to a location of my choosing...I will send to that person a CHECK for $ 9.00 USA funds...

I will retain any and all tax deductions for any and all repurchased donations to libraries and/or schools..

( the seller will give up all of their rights to their 2005 MA subscription...and deductions )

If you are serious I am serious also !!!

Best regards.

Dr.Sandy Frank snipped-for-privacy@AMA-Dist-8.org

2004-12-06

For the record: I suggested that the AMA EC look into making the receipt of MA optional since there appear to be a number of members that don't want it and would rather have a decrease in their dues. I have no intention of giving up MY MODEL AVIATION for ANY reduction in my dues. So to those that have been shooting off your mouths about the crappy magazine you are "forced" to take here is your chance to put your money where your mouth is. DR. FRANK'S OFFER IS GOOD ONLY FOR THOSE LIVING IN HIS DISTRICT!

Red S. AMA 951

Reply to
Red Scholefield

So Red, what's the point in this exercise?

Reply to
mkirsch1

I won't speak for Red but it appears that if you live in Dist VIII, you get a $9 rebate on your dues in exchange for having your magazine sent to a District VIII library or school.

Sounds like a plan if you don't like/want the AMA magazine.

Don

Reply to
Don Hatten

Does that ONLY change the mailing address for MA, or all mailings??

Reply to
Don Parker

Hmmm! Wonder what the good Doc would do if 1000 of his constituents were to take him up on his offer?

Reply to
C.O.Jones

If the truth be known you probably couldn't come up with 1000 AMA members willing to give up Model Aviation for a dues reduction. If there are, and his district is typical, he could get close to 100 requests based on his district representing about 10% of the AMA membership. My guess is that this "contemp" for MA is pure BS as far as the number go.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Just for MA. It is a separate address file as I understand. It has always been an option to "donate" your copy directly to a school or library - you still don't get a dues discount if that is what you are looking for.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

You will get your "refund" directly from Dr. Frank, AMA D-VIII VP. YOU MUST CONTACT HIM DIRECTLY HOWEVER.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield
  1. The point is that those living in DiVIII may get a refund directly from their VP if they sign over their MA to a school or library of his choice. Now lets see those that don't want the "rag" put their money where there mouth is. I'll keep mine however - thank you.

  1. We will see who is calling who's bluff - Dr. Frank or the MA haters. I'm betting on Frank on this one.

Red S.

Reply to
Red Scholefield

Take out a $9000 home equity loan?

Alan Harriman

Reply to
Alan Harriman

On what?

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

I think the answer to how many is based on how well the word gets out. I suspect fewer will ever know about this than the number who voted. And a significant number will scoff it off as some kind of hoax.

Now if some enterprising individuals were to take out adds in the good Doctor's behalf? Perhaps in more than one of the magazines? Would be humorous to watch!

Reply to
C.O.Jones

If my memory serves me right , there used to be an option on the magazine offer....why cant we still have that option. That would satisfy everyone(i think). Having the magazine or not doesnt do me much good, UNLESS the organization cant pay its bills without it. I dont think the magazine attracts members. I find a lot of useful information on the internet that seems to fill my needs. A lot of AMA business information could be sent via email relative to where the money is going. We all have opinions. I got my first OK CUB .049 in 1950 and I was 'gone' the first time it started up. 99.9 percent of what I was thinking about was putting that thing in an airplane. AHC black and white catalogue was the bible.

Red Scholefield wrote:

Reply to
jim breeyear

What a bunch of cheapskates there are in this hobby. If you can't afford another ten bucks for a magazine perhaps you ought to take up knitting. Joe L. "Ye shall know the truth and the truth shall make you mad." - Aldous huxley

Reply to
JosLvng

If you don't like the magazine and don't need it, why spend 10 bucks for it?

Reply to
Vance

Most of the big spenders I've known would trample children and little old ladies if they saw a ten dollar bill laying in the street...............

Reply to
Don Parker

True, sadly. I just can't justify spending money for something I don't want. I like the magazine, but it really isn't necessary for me either.

Reply to
Vance

Like I said cheapskates!!!! What's that come out to about 3cups of coffee at Starbucks. The whiners are in the wrong hobby if they can't afford the ten bucks to keep up with what is going on in their District or the National HQ's. It's not about you, it's about us. Joe L. In a Godless world, there is no obvious basis for altruism of any kind, moral anarchy takes over and the rule of self prevails. - Paul Johnson

Reply to
JosLvng

There are those of us that do not make 100,000 dollars or more a year like you. But that doesn't mean that we shouldn't be aloud to enjoy RC airplanes. Just because I don't think I should have to spend ten bucks on a useless to me magazine doesn't make me a cheapskate. I only make $7.05/hr, I belong to a local club and to the AMA. I still manage to go out and fly. I would rather spend ten bucks on a gallon of fuel than a magazine that I don't read. Everybody should have a choice of whether or not to do so. I don't want it, I shouldn't be forced to buy it. You want it so it doesn't matter to you.

Reply to
Vance

Allow me to dissect this for you.

Ok, lets call people names and pass judgement on them...

Hmm, now you sound like sally struthers.

More name calling and judgement passing.

OK, can they not afford the $10 or are they cheap scates?!?

Again, why not make it optional? Because we shouldn't be "cheapscates" is not a reason.

Yes it is, and WE don't call each other names and pass judgement on each other when there is a disagreement. Trying to shame people to your side will be ineffective.

I find it quite ironic that you would sin and then throw in a quote about god. I would say that there is no obvious basis for believing in god yet we still have morals. Your irrational beliefs and actions actually demonstrate a brand of moral anarchy. In any case you have plenty to be ashamed of.

Reply to
Steve Banks