AMA dues history

I'm trying to do a little amateur statistical analysis on the future trend of AMA dues. Can anyone tell me the years and the new dues rates since about 1980 or so? I know that when I joined about 10 years ago the dues were in the 35-to-40 dollar range, but I don't have exact records. I do know that the $58 dues we have been paying recently seemed sort of outrageous to me. I toyed with the idea of quitting altogether, but the access to the local flying field and the camaraderie with the other club members are more valuable to me than a probably-unnoticed political statement- so I just bought a life membership in AMA. I know that sounds insane to some, but I figure that at age 47, I will probably get my money's worth out of it, even if the dues never increase again. I thought I might brush up on my rusty curve-fitting skills, developed when I worked at an analytical chemistry lab, and see if I can determine any likely AMA future dues trends. Basically, I'm a cheapskate with a touch of buyers' remorse. Now I want to use some statistical analysis to reassure myself that I did the right thing. What I should probably be doing is going out to the field and brushing up on my landings!

cheers-

Dan Rea

Reply to
D. B. Rea

All I have noticed is the correlation of the dues to the size/expense of the Muncie facility. Expect an increase as the facility and the worker force expands.

There will be many, many, many....ad infinitum...replies, insults, finger pointing, and recriminations to follow.

FredD

Reply to
RedFred1

If you can afford a life membership why worry?

Make sure you do it right. Remember, there's lies, there's damn lies... and then there's statistics. I wish you better luck than the Bureau of Meteorology or any other soothsayer peering at some chicken's innards.

You payed for it, now go and enjoy it.

Reply to
Mark Lee

If I remember correctly in 2001 when I joined Dues were $48.00. I like many others am not particularly thrilled with the way ama does things, But there are any number of organization's that fit into that same lot.

For what it's worth and this is purely my 0.02 worth I joined to fill a need at the local club, and for the insurance, no political inspiration's here. If you were to need the insurance once it would be worth what you spent. Hope you & I never need it.

Tomb

Reply to
tomb046

As I recollect, the really big jump in AMA dues came when the AMA went into the magazine publishing business. Quite some time ago the AMA "news" was a section of American Modeler magazine (I think that was the one) then the magazine went belly up. At that point and with a large amount of apparent membership opposition, the AMA acquired the magazine. For several years the magazine was a membership option, then it became a requirement.

Now, for those who care, any AMA news can be found on the AMA web site. Makes ya wonder why we still need a mandatory magazine.......

Reply to
Tom Minger

how much is a lifetime membership?

carlb

Reply to
Carl Barkman

Dan, Figure out how much tax advantage the life membership will give you because the difference is what you need to worry about. Carry that the difference across how long you expect to be modeling. For girns lets say you are in the 25% bracket you will only be 'spending' about 1125, which (at the current rate) will just cover 19 years of membership costs. If you can afford a life membership, that strongly suggests your tax rate is more than

25%. .

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Dues have not kept pace with inflation. Modern inflation rates allow for a doubling of prices every 10 years.

So why are you paying $58? I've been renewing for 2 years lately. #1, it gives me a jump on a dues increase for the next year so I save, and I also save because there is a discount for renewing for a 2-year period.

I honestly didn't realize that current dues were $58. I think I paid $95 or $99 for my last 2-year renewal.

--- Rich

Rich Lockyer

If you can afford a Life Membership, that strongly suggests you intend supporting AMA's activities and probably that you intend remaining in this nutty hobby for the foreseeable future.

It doesn't strongly suggest anything about your tax liability and it certainly doesn't suggest one way or another whether your budget can take the hit.

People don't spend money because it might get them a deduction, they spend money because they want to spend it and most spend money they don't have.

Life Membership is $1500, and you can spread the payments over three years if you want.

Since there are by definition no tangible benefits to membership the LM fee becomes a tax-deductible contribution to a 501(C)3 organization, AMA.

If you can itemize you can deduct the contribution, but since deductions historically yield no more than about $0.25 on the dollar, it's not likely you'll find any tax advantage to be had, and any increase in your tax refund might be enough to go shopping on the dollar menu at McArches. You won't be kicking The Donald out of Trump Tower just because you made an LM contribution to AMA.

While it's not likely that the membership dues will remain fixed over a quarter-century, an LM contribution today would be amortized in that time. As dues increase over time the break-even point is earlier.

I don't know many people who have LM status and who can reasonably expect to be an active modeler 25 years hence. I made the LM contribution a year or so ago, and at my age and medical history it's a good bet I won't get anywhere near breaking even.

OTOH since I'm done with paying AMA dues, I don't care what happens to the rate.

There's a little chuckle to be had every year when the membership renewal and ballot form show up. Odder yet are the years between elections in my District (V). The form shows up anyway, and it's a non-entity - no ballot, only a reminder that my annual membership card will be mailed shortly.

There's also a little black humor associated with annual club renewals. Seems none of the clubs in which I hold membership understand what a Life Membership means, so every year I get to send in the club renewal fee and a copy of my LM card.

Duh . . .

The importance of the Life Membership is two-fold.

First, AMA gets 25 years' worth of membership fees in a lump sum, a small bit of extra capital to accomplish it's goals.

Secondly, you get the satisfaction of having made a goodly contribution to a worth-while organization, one which has as it's only purpose the fostering of model aviation. (That some of our "leaders" don't seem to be focused any too well on that fostering bit may be grist for another mill.)

There is one other 'advantage' to Life Membership - you can watch with some degree of amusement while folks howl and whine about dues increases, because you will be unaffected.

You'll come to realize that the howling and whining is being done by a bunch of folks who are picking the proverbial nits about dues increases which have historically been less than the price of a jug of glow fuel, and know that those same folks probably have several thousand samoleons tied up in toy airplanes any one of which can be destroyed by a single "Hey guys, watch _this_ !".

With all the dues increases AMA has ever had, the cost of a year's membership is _still_ less than the cost of taking SWMBO out for a decent dinner at a restaurant where the waiter speaks English.

Our Dish Network monthly bill is more than a year's worth of AMA dues, and I get a _lot_ more enjoyment out my modeling activities than from that stupid box.

Reply to
Fred McClellan

Fred, We have never found enough decent programming on any combination of cable/satellite/air to PAY them for it. Other than that, I agree with you even if your point of view is different. Not wrong, just different.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

There are scant few programs I watch.

There is one program on UPN, one on Discovery Wings, one on Sci-Fi, and two on PBS I watch. Otherwise Newton Minnow was quite right.

Reply to
Fred McClellan