looking for a good park flyer

I'm looking to buy a 4-channel park flyer that at least has the power to loop from level flight. I've never flown before, but I don't want some underpowered 3-channel POS.

Was considering a Great Planes Tutor Trainer

though I've heard that it has so much dihedral that the ailerons don't have much effect. Also was considering the GWS Zero
but that one looks a little hairy to fly and I might have trouble landing it.

Any suggestions?

Reply to
Dren

GWS formosa.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Dren bored us with:

I built a GWS cub trainer park flyer and my second plane (2 weeks later) is the GWS P-51D park flyer. The P-51D by GWS is FANTASTIC. Easy to put together, great looking, and you can use a four bladed prop for a more scale appearance. I love this plane. Oh, btw, you can put retracts on it if you wish ;).

WTH

Reply to
WTH

build yourself a foamie with a brushless motor and lipo's. Check out

Brad

Reply to
Brad Lorance

underpowered 3-channel POS.

I have a GWS Slow Stick....3 ch....will loop and continue to loop from level flight. If your good...like me...you can stand it on tail and hover it for alittle. PLENTY OF POWER

I've never flown before

Then I suggest you get a inexpensive 2 ch POS and master it before you decide on 4ch.......take this suggestion if you are going solo; otherwise you are going to CRASH if you try 4 ch. If you know a club or someone to train you.....then go 4 ch.

Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Reply to
ROBBIE

Its not 4 channel. The formosa is. Its also reaosnably aerobatic, and with LIPOS seriously so. With a brushless its formidable.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

ROBBIE opined

I have a Mini blue Max, and love it.

-ash Cthulhu for President! Why vote for a lesser evil?

Reply to
Ash Wyllie

| ROBBIE wrote: | | > GWS Slow Stick | | Its not 4 channel.

It is if you build it so.

If you look here in the instructions --

in figure 14, you see that they've even cut out the ailerons for you. You just have to decide if you want to use them or not.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Since youve never flown before, Id avoid the warbirds. They need to fly fast, and they are not terribly forgiving. I tried a GWS Zero as a second plane after my slowstick, and i crashed maybe 20 times while accumulating no more than 3 minutes of airtime total. Then I tried an Estarter, and could fly it no problem. Loops easily. Will roll - but its clumsy like most high wing trainer types. Flys inverted fairly well. Its not terribly powerful but not bad. Cant carry the GWS floats though. Damned shame too, they look SWEET on her. Im about to try lipos to see if the weight savings helps with the floats... I dont have a formosa, but its likely my next plane, as ive heard all the raves too for a while now.

Reply to
MikeF

That's odd..perhaps you have the one with the earlier motors. we carry the GWS floats on several at our field. in fact we do touch and goes on the water with ease. we've even taken one off wet grass with floats attached. no problem. seven cells and the 350 motor/gearbox.

cheers Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo". "If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask. His reply:  "you a dinosaur"

Reply to
astroflyer

Really? i definitely have the 350 - c gear, 10x8 prop, everything stock, AERT with pico's running nice 7cell KAN 1050's. I suspect my KANs are a bit heavier than most batteries though. Once i get my PSU built for my new charger, i'll try this new lipo ive got collecting dust. I was also told to check the AOA of the floats vs the wing. Problem is that i dont know what it should be...? The instructions with the floats are useless.

her.

Reply to
MikeF

it should fly just fine then. we've been using 7 hecells 1100 mah, but just recently our local supplier has been selling 1050 KANS. don't see any difference with them...same perfromance.

One of the guys this weekend tried a 2 cell lithium. slightly less power there, but still flies with the floats with ease.

quite a few of these little birds at our field. Yesterday mornign there were two new ones, both of these had the new speed400 setup. One of them took off dry grass with the floats. needed a push to get it started, but after that no problem. just took off like normal. Both were using eight cells in this configuration ...1050 KANS.

cheers Papa Sharptooth

Bouncing about the living room, my then three year old grandson declared himself "a kangaroo". "If you're a Kangaroo, what is Grampie", I ask. His reply:  "you a dinosaur"

Reply to
astroflyer

Thanks. I'll try it again. Maybe the Ezone guys can help with the AoA and stuff. I dunked her several times in my initial attempt, id like to minimize that. It ruined a motor...though i suspect the motor may have been on the way out anyway. Mighta been part of my problem.

pico's

Reply to
MikeF