Radio choice

After 30 years, I'm back into modeling, but I've never done RC. I've been using the G3.5 simulator and can now do touch and go's at will, so I've decided to make the leap into an airplane. I'll be joining a club and flying at their field with an instructor. I picked up a used Futaba Skysport 4 radio and I've decided on electric power, but I still have several questions. Unfortunately, the local club meets when I'm working, so I thought I would ask here.....

  1. Rudder and elevator only or include ailerons?
  2. A .40 sized trainer or a park flyer?
  3. Use the old Skysport as a beginning radio or buy new?
  4. If I buy new, 2.4 gh or FM?
  5. If I go with 2.4 gh, Spectrum DX-7 or Futaba 7C?

I've read up on all these questions and know the technical side, but the voice of experience can be invaluable. TIA

Randy

Reply to
BCRandy

Your choice really.

Aileron planes tend to be designed to be less 'hands off' than a rudder controlled plane. I *LIKE* 3 channel stuff myself..these something nice about propping up the transmitter on the ground and rolling a cigarette while the model flys itslef ;-)

The most docile plane I have are actually a bit larger than a park flier

- sort of 48-60" span lightweight vintage style models. Ther can be 40 sized..but run on les tan 1/3rd the power and are a lot lighter.

A 40 glo trainer is a lot harder to fly than a 'radio assisted' lightweight model. But it will cope with wind. It needs a runway, whereas lighter models will fly slower and may be handlaunched. I would say that its a bit dangerous to take off a 40 glo trainer without an instructor for the first few times, but a 1-3lb slow model is not too much of a hazard if you do get disoriented. So if you dont hacve access to friendly helpers, stay with the ligher models.

Use the old. if its street legal

2.4 all the way, but be aware that there are 'issues' with all te 2.4Ghz stuff..if at all possible wait another year andsee what works well at your club site.

I would say that technically the Futaba is a bit better, but there are severe issues with some Futaba sets right now, still unresolved. Look at the cost of spare receivers too.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| > 3. Use the old Skysport as a beginning radio or buy new? | | Use the old. if its street legal | | > 4. If I buy new, 2.4 gh or FM? | | 2.4 all the way, but be aware that there are 'issues' with all te 2.4Ghz | stuff..if at all possible wait another year andsee what works well at | your club site.

To be more precise ...

If you're buying new gear. 2.4 GHz all the way.

If you're buying used gear, there's lots of really nice gear available at low prices as lots of people are unloading their 72 MHz gear and buying 2.4 GHz stuff. Expect to pay less than half the price of new gear ...

There's not much used 2.4 GHz gear out there, and what there is tends to command prices close to new, except for the first generation stuff like the Spektrum DX6.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Polks Hobby

Is currently having a sale on the Tracker III 8 channel radio with a Seeker II 8 channel receiver and

1 standard servo for $99.00 The TX and RX are fully synthesized. I have the Tracker II and really like the radio and use it almost exclusively instead of my Futaba 6XAS. Also has a 5 year warranty.

Reply to
Ted Campanelli

Definitely rudder, and ailerons. It's best to learn using both. Also, takeoffs and landing in a cross wind can be tricky without both. Sometimes you may be able to take off across the runway into wind, but landing into that wind could mean going behind the flight line, which is usually prohibited. You can use 3 channel planes later, I have one without ailerons, and another without rudder, both are fine, but I usually leave the rudder only at home when there is a cross wind at my field. (The ailerons only is hand launch)

Definitely a .40 size trainer. Park flyers are fun, but generally resricted to light winds. An IC trainer can fly easily in winds around 10 MPH. Also your club is probably geared up to teaching novices on an IC trainer. Contact your club, there is often a club trainer available, or there may be a complete setup for sale, usually half the new price

The skysport will be fine for now. It will get you flying and you will soon see what other TX's are used and their good points. One thing you will need to check is what mode is normally flown at your club, there are two choices; mode 2, throttle/rudder on left stick; and mode 1, throttle/ailerons on right stick. You will need yours to be the same. Most modern TX's can be easily changed, but I'm not sure about the skysport

Eventually 2.4, but wait a while. I currently have a Futaba FF9, which has a module for the desired frequency. At the present I have a 35mhz module (UK system) but I can easilt fit a 2.4g module if I want. The FF8 also has this facility

Leave it for a while, probably Futaba will come out on top

HTH

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor

If you decide to go 2.4GHz, you might want to look at the new Airtronics RDS8000 FHSS 2.4GHZ radio. I have one, have flown it in a Great Planes Super Sportster-EP. Solid link, good feel. I had the Futaba 6EX FASST but sold it and ordered the RDS8000.

CR

Reply to
Charles & Peggy Robinson

I just received my Airtronics 2.4 but haven't had a chance to use it yet. I also have a new and unused Futaba 7 ch Faast system. I'll let you know which one I like best when I use them. However, I have long been an Airtronics user and LOVE their radios. I have NEVER, repeat NEVER had a glitch from an Airtronics since I started using them in the 70's! Can't say the same for Futaba!

Reply to
Jim

Not available in the UK yet (AFAIK) Sounds good though Known as Sanwa here

Trefor

Reply to
Trefor