RC Poll, favorite and least favorite plane

Polls seem to be the new internet craze so why not have one of our own? What is/was your favorite and your least favorite RC airplane?

My favorite was a scratch built Laser 200 from M.A.N. plans that I litteraly flew the wings off of.

My least favorite was a foam Cox Cessna "trainer" that nobody could get to fly right. It was my first RC airplane way back in 1980.

Tom Wales AMA 435536

Reply to
Tom Wales

Favorite: EZ P-51 with OS .91 Surpass

Least favorite: Any Airmadillo.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Favourite: Maybe my Laser 75 in an Acrowot Least favourite my friend's TT Challenger ARF (about 15 years ago). Almost impossible to fly (and land!) without something falling off. I remember that he tried to give it away and no one would take it!

Reply to
David Smith

Most fave plane depends on what sort of flying I wanna do.

Aerobatics: World Models Ultimate 120 with YS1.10FZ Relaxing: World Models Super Sports Senior with YS.91FZ

I don't really have a least fave plane......I love *anything* that flies :-)

MrBonk

MrBonk

Reply to
Chris Spierings

Favorite: Goldberg Tiger 2 w/.46 OS FX-pridictabole sport plane that did nothing badly.

Least Favorite: Circa 1977 Sterling Mini Fledgling w/.049-too heavey (3 channel). Pierre Tampa, FL

Reply to
Greyhound

Favorite Crowd Pleaser: ParkHawk Ornithopter Performance Favorite: UltraStick 60 with Saito 100 Giant Scale Favorite: 1/3 scale Miles Reed Weeks Special Bipe with Saito 300 Twin Favorite Beater: Zagi 400x with Wattage Cobalt 400 All around Favorite: Goldberg Tiger 2 with Saito 56

Least Favorite: GWS Pico Stick stock with a 6 cell pack.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Favorite: Air Flair Sundancer 40, a wolf in sheep's clothing. Looks like a trainer, flies like a motherbleeper. A *very* close second is the Somethin' Extra.

Least Favorite: The Great Planes PT Series, 40 and 60. Why so many people talk them up is beyond me. I do it, but it ain't fun helping guys who show up with those.

Texas Pete AMA 59376

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Favorite: Midwest Strikemaster or Airtronics Sagitta 900 Least Favorite: ModelTech Cap 21 .60 size

Reply to
Don Hatten

Least Favorite: The Great Planes PT Series, 40 and 60. Why so many people talk them up is beyond me. I do it, but it ain't fun helping guys who show up with those.

Texas Pete AMA 59376

What is it you dislike about the PT series? I'm currently building a PT-60 and overall it seems to be about like every other trainer I've seen.

I am just curious why you don't like them; as mine is not finished and I have zero kit building experience prior to this.

I really like the manual; it has info a first time kit builder needs.

I modified three things in the design. I built the wing with 3" total dihedral vs. the 4" specified for the "sport" wing. I built the wings straight; no washout. I made a new rudder that is strictly above the elevator; it is deeper front/rear so it has about the same surface area as the original.

The dihedral and rudder were changed because I think it looks better the way I did it. The 'no-washout' decision was made because it was easier for me to build it straight than twisted.

It remains to be seen whether these were smart decisions.

Regards, Carrell

Reply to
Carrell

Don,

Funny you should mention the MW Strikemaster. Built it back in the early

70's, powered by a K&B .40. Have been lucky enough to have recently purchased 2 of the kits on ebay. Power on the first one will be a Webra Speed .50, converted to a taildragger.

Best regards,

Reply to
Herb Winston

Pete,

Why specifically don't you like the PT series? It was the first RC plane I built after a 10 year lay off. It was easy to build and flew very nicely. I relearned flying and trained countless newbies with mine before it did the death spiral. I would recommend them to anyone wanting to build their first trainer.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

I'm a proponent of neutral stability in a trainer. "Self-righting" trainers such as the PT series actually fight the pilot. I live in a windy part of the world and the PT's just don't hack it in the wind. The ailerons lack authority, to put it mildly, and the three-channel high-dihedral versions blow over real easy when taxiing. To me, it's just a lousy flier. The Goldberg Eagle and its ubiquitous ARF copies seem to do much better, but the Sig Kadet LT-40, the Hobbico Avistar, and the many "Stick" planes do best. Around here, that is.

Very good manual and kit. I'm a fan of the Great Planes manuals.

I think they were, especially the reduced dihedral. Put some bigger (wider, like 1" wide) ailerons on it and you'll be all set. You shouldn't let mine or anyone else's personal preferences psych you. Get an instructor and go have fun!

Texas Pete AMA 59376

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

TOO stable, three-channel version blows over easily, ailerons are next to useless on aileron version. More in my reply to Carrell.

Texas Pete AMA 59376

Reply to
Pete Kerezman

Reply to
jim breeeyar

The Cox Cessna was my first RC, back Christmas of 78. Never could get it to fly right. It would climb ok, but wouldn't respond to rudder at all. I put it in the closet and got a Square Soar 72. Many years later, I took the wing off my Q tee and stuck it on, and doubled the size of the rudder. Flew fine. Still had to leave off the "for decoration only" landing gear. Firewall needed re-glueing every few flights. What genius decided a semi- symmetrical wing on a marginally powered trainer was a good idea?

Reply to
John Alt

Favorite Trainer: Midwest AeroStar. Cut out 1/2 dihedral and extend the elevator 1/2" Favorite Sport Plane: Goldberg Ultimate with OS 1.08 Favorite Giant Scale: Sig 1/3 Scale Space Walker Favorite Comp Fun Fly: Smith Super Special Webra 32 Least favorite: Fiberclassics 40% Edge with DA 150. (Only because I don't have and can't afford one ;>) Bill

Reply to
me

I used to work in a hobby shop in the late 70's early 80's and I took several people out to fly their new Cox Cessna's. I agree, they were not great trainers, but they always flew very well for me. The electric Sportavia, now that was a dog. The gas one was good but it had a nasty little tip stall. The electric one was probably worse, but I never got it more than 4 feet off the ground. Ahh, early e-power technology!

My favorite plane is the Master kit Peppermint Pattie (plans:

quick, wicked aerobatic in a non 3D sort of way.

Least Favorite: TT Champion 45L. 'Nuff said. Or any Cox scale plastic CL RTF. Dave

Reply to
Daze

Most favorite R/C model to FLY: Goldberg Extra. Most favorite R/C model to BUILD: Proctor JN-4D "Jenny". Least favorite model: ANY Piper Cub -- never had one; never built one (R/C or other), never flown one, never flown in one, and furthermore don't even want to see another one!

Cheers -- \__________Lyman Slack_________/ \______AMA6430 IMAA1564___/ \____Fly> > Polls seem to be the new internet craze so why not have one of our own?

Reply to
Lyman Slack

Lyman I had a Goldberg cub for a few years. Gave me an education in the fine art of taking off a tail dragger AND an appreciation of the term "Ground Loop" I built that cub and covered it in Yellow fabric. I had a friend make me a set of 5" letters for the upper right and lower left wing: A F Y C I used to love it when people would ask me what that stood for: Another F***ing Yellow Cub

A defective JR radio was it's doom. Bill

Reply to
me