Sales flyer info/Ailrons

I have always flown glow planes since the beginning but lately some of the simple fly anytime electrics look interesting to me(slow flying in the yard). Is it just me or does it drive everyone else crazy that they never list on the sales information if a plane has ailerons. I do not know about others but I pretty much refuse to fly a plane that does not have ailerons. It seems these companies would list this information. Then again maybe other folks do not care. What is the thoughts of the people here. Am I the only one that is bothered by this? Just a petty grip but hey it is on topic for a change and maybe if some noise is made about the issue it will change. (A couple planes that I wanted but passed on due to no ailerons. Lazy Bee, and slow poke with the bent wing) I have played around with my ailerons planes just using the rudder and elevator and the limits it puts on me is more than I can stand. LOL Thanks again, Brad

Reply to
Brad

Turning up your nose at non-aileron planes is causing you to miss out on a lot of nice flying planes. Lazy Bees wont knife edge, but they will loop, fly inverted, and even roll. They are capable of quite violent snap rolls too. My Wingo will even roll while carrying a wireless video system. Aileron equiped planes generally have little or no dihedral which is why they really dont turn well with rudder input only. Mostly what you get is side slippage which is handy when taking off or landing in a cross wind. Non-aileron planes are built with dihedral which is what causes them to turn with rudder input. Something to do with the plane's yaw causing the outboard wing to lift more than the inboard wing which makes the plane roll in the direction you wish to turn. That is the basic gist of it but I am sure somebody can explain it better than that. Anyway, dont snub planes without ailerons because you will be missing out.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

I'm like you, I don't feel comfortable with ruder and evevator only. I'm so cheap that I don't buy a plane without knowing exctally what it is and I'm not so intrested in park fliers. But! My first foray into electrics Are the Superfly and Super flea. They are basically EPP -delta flying wings, mixed aileron and elevator. Fun Fun Fun!

mk

Reply to
Storm's Hamburgers

LOL, a lot of the park fliers don't get into details. It does make it difficult, but a search through the newsgroup archives on this group should turn up some good candidates ( someone posted amini max or somesuch looked promising). Ash Wyllie just pointed us towards the wattage mini max.

Maybe go to groups.google.com and cut and paste in the following query: ailerons park OR electric group:rec.models.rc.air

Reply to
Steve Banks

Reply to
Brad

Reply to
Brad

If the add says 3 channels it is for sure no ailerons. But if it is a 'plane that needs to be built, like the SloPoke, why not just add ailerons while you are building. I think the SloPoke could use about 1/2 or less of the dihedral and some ailerons even though it flys great without them. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

Reply to
Steve Banks

When flying a 3 channel plane (rudder,elevator,throttle) I put the rudder on channel 1, right stick. Unfortunately this can get confusing when taxiing! The only 3 channel planes I own are my Wingo, Slow Stick, and Goldberg Electra which, other than my Zagi, are my only electric planes. All my glow planes have ailerons. My sloper has ailerons too. My father has the Lazy Bee.

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

True. My Super Sportster 20 just wags its tail when you saw the rudder back and forth. So did my Kaos. Damn! I miss that plane!

Reply to
Fubar of The HillPeople

If your transmitter has mixing, one trick for flying 3 channel when you're used to 4 channel is to do a 100% aileron/rudder mix. That way, either stick will control the rudder.

Morris

Reply to
Morris Lee

The best solution for me is to plug the rudder servo into the aileron channel and then mix aileron and rudder. I have 50% movement on the aileron and 50% on the rudder for the total of 100% movement. This gives me the control I need on takeoff and once in the air it flys just like an aileron plane. Gord Schindler MAAC6694

Reply to
Gord Schindler

| If the add says 3 channels it is for sure no ailerons.

That is most definately not true. There are many planes out there with elevator and ailerons and no rudder.

| But if it is a 'plane that needs to be built, like the SloPoke, why | not just add ailerons while you are building.

Ultimately, it's not hard to add ailerons to pretty much any park flier -- make sure the trailing edge is straight, and tape on some barn-door ailerons, and stick a servo or two in the wing to control them. But if the plane has lots of dihedral (as most without ailerons do), then it'll pretty much fly the same if you turn with ailerons as it would if you turned with the rudder.

And don't poo-poo three channel rudder/elevator/throttle planes. Given a large rudder and a center of gravity that is pretty far back, these planes can be remarkably nimble and can do some pretty neat tricks.

Reply to
Doug McLaren