Dave Brown for AMA President

There are things that AMA can do, and things that it cannot do. Among things AMA CAN do are:
1) Provide liability insurance for model flying activities.
2) Work with FCC and FAA officials to obtain frequencies and establish guidelines regarding "model flight rules" pertaining to proximity to airports, flying altitudes, etc. 3) Establish a general safety code for all types of model flying 4) Establish rules for competition flying 5) Sanction and publish event calendars for competition and "fun fly" events 6) Hold national competition, open house, and "fly in" events 7) Act as the U.S. representative to the FAI for purposes of rule making, U.S. world championship team entry, and establishment of world records 8) Work with special interest groups in selecting teams to represent the U.S. in world championship events 9) Host some of the various world championship events 10) ...and other functions too numerous to list
Some things AMA CANNOT do are:
1) Save flying fields from being lost due to construction of housing projects next door 2) Convince JR that they should connect their charge plugs with the same polarity as everyone else 3) Publish a magazine that everyone will think is "worth the money" it might cost to produce 4) Convince everyone that it is "worth the money" for AMA to be involved with items listed 4-9 above which most members are not directly involved with 5) ...and more items too numerous to list
All things considered, though, I think Dave has done a good job. His business experience has helped him deal with the "business" nature of the AMA, which is considerable.
While Dave is best known for his R/C flying, most notably aerobatic competition, he realizes that all aspects of the hobby are important, and AMA's successfully hosting occasional international events can be a "good thing" for all modelers.
Dave has the right temperament for dealing with such things as being questioned by the FAA about "these people flying model airplanes at 20,000 feet." While it is unlikely that the people who are performing such stunts are AMA members, the AMA has to defend our use of the airspace, and Dave is a good person to do it.
The job of AMA president, or any other office in such an organization can be thankless at times. As Dave and his predecessors well know, you can't make everyone happy. Sport R/C flyers think too much money is spent on the Muncie site. Free flighters, who, as a group, have donated a lot of money for development of the Muncie site feel making it "free flight friendly" should be a higher priority. Maybe you can't win, and maybe Dave hasn't done everything perfectly, but in general, he's done a good job. If he's willing to do it a few more years, he has my vote.
Kit Gerhart AMA 224
On Tue, 19 Oct 2004 17:32:48 -0400, snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:
<lots and lots
Mrs. Brown- Thank you for those insights.
Abel
Whew! Can't wait to see what the bashers do with this one!
Chuck

//SNIP//
Very good! However why did a committee composed of Dave Mathewson, et. al. finally prepare a NEW Safety Code for 2005 and future? Why has Dave Brown promoted a Safety Code so ambiguous and restrictive as the one presented for 2004 and prior? //SNIP//

<<<
Yep, like making a *Safety Officer* mandatory for 2005 in each Charter Club then establishing Document 537 which transfers all liability at the club level directly onto that Safety Officer. Then D. Brown has the audacity to allow some employee remove and alter the document then replace it while the Ex. Director misrepresents the EC motion not only in the magazine but also on the web site. The current AMA President insults the member's intelligence with his dictatorial actions, well maybe not every member!!!

projects next door

No, however AMA under proper leadership COULD use all the media's free news to make millions aware of just how great model aviation is as a sport, a hobby, and a worthwhile recreation. Then Clubs would have a great foot-in-the-door to save those fields or obtain new ones at their own level. 1. How many times have you heard AMA FAI teams welcomed home on CNN? 2. How many NATs winners get a follow-up article from AMA sent to the winner's hometown newspaper? 3. How many times have you heard a national news station mention that the AMA is hosting a World Championship Event within this country and entertaining foreign sportsmen from some 20-30 countries? Has the State Department been properly advised and perhaps "Welcome to our Country" extended?
To the best of my knowledge -- NOT UNDER MR. BROWN's reign.
//SNIP//

might cost to produce

AMA can easily publish a magazine and I don't really care how much that magazine costs to produce as long as all that glitter advertising pays the bill, rather than individual member dues. Read the audit reports. Adver. income barely exceeds advertising production expense PLUS the agent's fat commission. The member dues support a commercial magazine. YUCK!! Good ol' boys deluxe all at DB's satisfaction.
The minutes of the AMA EC meetings are filled with recalls of previous actions, even unto the fiasco of the Jet turbine problems of last year. Finally a few level-headed EC members got the situation resolved earlier this year, but look at the time and money wasted just because the Safety Committee, the JPO, and the EC voted something in that wasn't the President's idea.
It's time for a change. Let the members -- FOR ONCE -- say "Enough is Enough."
HC
"Freedom is the sure possession of those alone who have the courage to defend it" Pericles "He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice." -- Albert Einstein
snipped-for-privacy@aol.com (CainHD) wrote in

Are they going to require the safety officer to be a registered industrial hygenist or safety engineer?
- HPT
No thanks. I've already seen more than enough of what "Brown" can do fo
me
-- Quacke
A titanic struggle between two men and schizophrenia
----------------------------------------------------------------------- Quacker's Profile: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/member.php?action=getinfo&useridG5 View this thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?threadid (877
Comments interspersed:
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com wrote:

The AMA shouldn't be in the insurance business, there are plenty of insurance underwriters out there.

Agreed, but you have to be proactive, not reactive.

True, but they can be expects on: 1. How to advise clubs on how to setup private partnerships to purchase flying sites. 2. Working with Federal and State Government agencies to use public lands for flying sites. 3. A proponent to Federal and State Parks on model land usage. 4. A pool of money to lend chartered clubs to acquire land.

True, But they could lobby the manufacturers for compatability and interoperatablility of components. They could work with the International Standards Organization to establish standards.

How about just allowing members to opt out of receiving the magazine and reducing membership costs accordingly, they could do that. And if they use the old argument it would cost them advertising money, utilize the AMA website for advertising. The magazine needs to stand on it's own feet and be subscibed to by the membership VOLUNTARILY. SIG's and other AMA business should be web based. For those without web access, they could subscribe to a monthly newsletter at the subscribers cost.

Volunteers.....
There is a huge disconnect between the vast majority of the membership and Muncie's facilities. Why don't we make it voluntary for each member to "contribute" to paying for the site at muncie. I suspect (no I guarantee) that voluntary contributions wouldn't come close to covering the bill. So essentially you have mandated, that to belong to an AMA chartered club, you have to help pay for the muncie facility. This is in addition to the mandatory magazine. What mandatory new fee is next?
Phil

Please outline your plan to insure that all of the flyers in your club are insured, and how you'll make sure that this coverage is continuous throughout each year for each of them. Also, outline in your plan to show how this will be guaranteed to the land-owner, and who in the club will be responsible (and how) if there is no coverage when an incident occurs. Also show cost for this additional coverage for the club, spread out over each typical member.
Then show how you'll make it possible to show that each guest flyer at every event at your club's field (and every field!) has continuous, non-lapsing coverage during each event.
Then we'll consider how the AMA can indeed back out of being an insurance provider without us (the flying public) losing even more fields due to non-insured incidents, litigation, and land-owner exposure.
If you can't afford $58 a year, you can't afford to fly RC.
Jack

insured, and >how you'll make sure that this coverage is continuous throughout each year for >each of them. Also, outline in your plan to show how this will be guaranteed to the >land-owner, and who in the club will be

typical >member.

Jack, you are very correct and cover the points extremely well. However IMO when an AMA President and the Executive Vice President (AMA's Chief Financial Officer) and the main Insurance Person -- a salaried employee of AMA -- are the (self?) appointed Directors of an AMA financed Captive Insurance Company and their focus appears to be mainly on that item, then it is, again my opinion, that perhaps new leadership for the AMA per-se is definitely in order. BTW have you ever seen the EVP write about this in his AMA "MA" column? Have you read the minutes of EC meetings where the EVP frequently asks the EC to instill much higher requirements for his position? Lots of questions in my mind about that!! (;-(
Vote Dave Mathewson for AMA President.
HC
Jack,
That is easily possible. What many would like to see is the AMA get out of the insurance business and turn that over to a company that specializes in insurance. The annual policies and proof of insurance would not have to change at all.
What I do NOT want to see is allowing any kind of unverifyable homeowners insurance to be used in lieu of the type of annual policy we now have. I believe that would lead to far too much overhead at the club level just making sure the policies are kept in force.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com
wrote:

Also
every
Jack, You didn't understand my point, but Paul did. Yes, I can afford $58 a year, again that's not the point. Would you pay $58 for a dollar candy bar? I mean that tongue in cheek. :-) But my point of relevance is I get very little for my $58, as do many AMA'ers, and if you think the cost of insurance is the big driver, I got a bridge over the Bay in San Francisco I'd like to sell.
Phil
Jack Goff wrote:

Phil, I can agree on the rest, but 2 and 3 should be left alone.
Mike
Mike,
Look up the AMA Site Assistance Program.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

lands

Thanks for the info Paul.......I see they do most of the work.
Mike
Now, tell that to CO.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

Paul, The site assistance program is AMA member volunteers helping AMA members, not much meat so to speak. It's a start, but not what we really need.
Phil
Paul McIntosh wrote:

Phil,
You should rear the AMA Site Assistance Program. Short of actually providing the money, they pretty much do all od what you ask.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com
wrote:

use
business
you

They claim to do it! But like the insurance, what proof do you have?
Oh Yeah! For this we'll take their word for it!
Since you are not in the AMA, and have never tried their services, you have no basis for a statement one way or the other. On the other hand, I have been very much involved and can vouch for their service. I am sure there are other club officials who have also used the services.
You should stick to commenting on things you have some direct knowledge in, like nothing related to the AMA.
-- Paul McIntosh http://www.rc-bearings.com

Never said I have never tried their services. You should know your opponents better! I have in fact been a member. Quite a few years ago. On retirement, I looked into joining again but have found a vastly different AMA than the one I remember. A lot of the attitudes are different too.
As for direct knowledge, when was the last time you talked to anyone at Muncie? It's been just a few months for me. DB was the last one I believe.