Dave Brown for AMA President

CO,

I don't disagree that it happens occasionally. I have been a modeler for around 40 years and flying RC for about 18. I have yet to see one site closed that I was ever active at. All of them have long term leases with the landowners and are considered good tenants. One in particular just renewed their lease with the county to be the sole tenants of a wildlife preserve! Previous to that, the land they occupied was federal land given to the county for a park. The model club being on the site was the only reason the county kept the land because they could not afford to develop the park,

The club I fly at in the UK leases land from a farmer. They only pay the value of the lost crop from the area they use. Amounts to about $1500 a year. Another site I fly at is an old landfill that cannot have any permanent structures built. Nice and flat and no houses nearby.

The point being is that there are a lot of opportunities for more flying sites with little or no money involved. They are sometimes hard to find, but they are there. The east coast is a problem what with all the money grubbing going on and the high population density.

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Duh. . .

I must have misunderstood. I was under the impression that loan was to build the new HQ building. I am also under the impression the oan was floated across some special bonds available in Indianna. Is your information different?

I guess you could say that the $4M was for operating expenses, since I don't recall the membership saying "Lets build a new building for lots of $". But then again, the membership never did say "We need to buy Muncie." My memory is of more folks against it than I saw writing for it, after the fact of course.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Hi JIm= I don't keep MA issues to refer back to, but my recollection is of a bond issue for 'operating revenue' or something closely related in praseology, and it occurred well after the new HQ building financing was procured. I said $4M, but I tend to mentally round numbers to order of magnitude as I read them, so it may well have been > $3.75M and < $4.25M. As a caveat, let me say that I'm not as smart as as I was when I was in my teens...........and I really don't remember what I had for breakfast this morning.

Abel

Reply to
Abel Pranger