AMA Nationwide Membership Drive 2009

On Fri, 20 Mar 2009 13:30:03 -0400 "Red Scholefield" remarked:

I do take the time to vote on everything that is presented to me to vote on. But some bright idiot at the AMA thought it would be great to seperate the membership into "regular" and "super supreme leader member". Only EC members and leader members have a say in the bylaws of this org. So how does that mean I a "regular" member, have a say? I can only vote for the president and VP of my district. 99% of the time, there is only the incumbent running for any office up for election and that leaves me with no choice and no say.

Reply to
Vance Howard

All of this nonsense reminds me of how one had to be a land owner in order to vote in political elections in the US. That practice was found to be unconstitutional eventually and was discontinued. Same kind of thought processes behind this kind of elitism. I'm sure that nearly one half, or more, of our population would resurrect the old laws in a heart beat, if they could.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Well if it will help to unwad your panties,the Leader Members have not had more than a half dozen at most, items to vote on over the last 12 years I have been one.

Your choice then, if only the incumbent is running, is to nominate someone else that you think would do a better job. Better than that, become a Leader Member and get yourself nominated. It is not all that difficult, particularly now with term limits coming up.

In qualifying for Leader Member (see the file at the AMA web site) one has to shown more than a passing interest in the hobby - not all that hard to do if you have done anything more sophisticated than throw an ARF foamy into the air a few times.

I realize, based on our last Presidential election, that qualifications are no longer taken into consideration by the voting public. I, for one, would want to see people with at least a clue about the AMA and how it operates than the clueless voting on the emotion dejure. Then can we expect the AMA to bail out failing hobby shops and clubs - and funding new flying sites by raising the dues for the rest of us that already have one?

Reply to
Red Scholefield

The last 12 years were 4 times as active for Leader Members as the 12 prior years.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High