Electrics and Flying Fields

When I first started flying, I was told of the importance of flying at an approved field for AMA insurance reasons, as well as to prevent as much radio interference as possible. Now I see many flyers going to local parks and flying electrics. Do the same rules apply, or are electrics more docile, not requiring the same restrictions? I'd love to fly my electric on the field near my office on lunch break. The closest club field is 30 minutes away.

Reply to
heynow

Your post will probably open up a whole can of worms. Here's my two cents worth. Many of the park and slow flyers fly slowly and are so light that they wouldn't cause any major damage to people or objects. However, before you fly at a local park, make sure it's allowed before tossing your plane in the air. Also, you might run into some frequency problems, as there's no way to verify that your frequency is clear. But again, if it's something small, slow, light and cheap...

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@verizon.net

Reply to
Morris Lee

Cheap is a state of mind :)

However, does AMA have guidelines as to what constitutes light and slow?

Reply to
BBiggBobb

WORM CAN OPENER #1

There is no such thing as an AMA approved flying field. An AMA sanctioned club may have a flying site that meets AMA recommended guidlines. AMA has guidelines for field layouts etc. However, if you are worried about insurance coverage, if you are an AMA member you may fly where ever it is legal to as long as you follow the AMA Safety Code. View 2004 code at

If you are flying on private property be sure you have permission of the land owner, on public property be sure there are no regulations against what you are doing. There is a great park next to my work I am going to check out for lunch time electric flying!

Earle Levine AMA42924CD

I don't think so. They follow teh hobby, they don't lead it.

Uk rules are that your insurance covers you provided you are not knowingly or wilfully negligent.

Many people fly wherever they can. Its not illegal. Whether its antisocial or just plain daft, or really no problem depends on your point of view...

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

| When I first started flying, I was told of the importance of flying at an | approved field for AMA insurance reasons, as well as to prevent as much | radio interference as possible. Now I see many flyers going to local parks | and flying electrics. Do the same rules apply, or are electrics more | docile, not requiring the same restrictions?

You do need to be aware that the AMA has no authority that people do not explicitly give it. The AMA cannot require you to be a member, whether you fly a rubber powered $2 free flight airplane or a 150" Giant Telemaster.

Joining the AMA gets you insurance, and allows you fly at a lot of fields that require that you be an AMA member (which is mostly about the insurance.) Outside of these clubs, you may have a hard time finding a place to fly a large glow or gas powered airplane unless you or a friend own a lot of land. It also does help promote and protect the hobby, and gets you a spiffy magazine each month.

Most people don't bother to join the AMA if they just fly small electric planes, because you can usually fly these at most local parks (the local laws usually don't prohibit, and they usually don't bother people.) Anything glow powered, or larger electric planes tend to make more noise and can upset your local law enforcement if you fly it at a park, for example.

The AMA rules are not laws. But they're pretty good guidelines, for the most part, for whatever you're flying.

| I'd love to fly my electric on the field near my office on lunch | break. The closest club field is 30 minutes away.

Then do so, assuming that it's permitted by the local laws, and the electric isn't so large as to really be dangerous. Don't fly it near people, no matter how small it is -- even a small Speed 400 motor and prop can give you a nasty gash.

If there's a field (or even another guy flying his small electric) within 3 miles or so, you need to ensure that you're not using the same frequencies, but if they're 30 minutes away, you should be safe.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Just to add my two cents worth to the can of worms.

As many folks have already said there is no AMA swat team that will come after you.

The key is, as another person has already posted, that if you do not fly by the AMA guidlines where ever you fly and there is an accident AMA insurance will not cover you.

I cringe when folks claim small park/electrics can not cause major damage or accidents. It is an air borne projectile with a moving sharp plastic prop, so never assume (Makes an ASS out of U and ME) that it cannot either directly hurt someone or cause a chain reaction, such as flying into traffic and startling a driver resulting in an accident. Besides it is 2003 and lawsuits are everywhere, so no telling what "trama" a person might have from getting bumped by your plane.

Be aware that in major metro areas that there is a lot of radio signal pollution and there maybe others in the area flying their park flyers out of your sight that can jam up your receiver.

Make certain that you are allowed by the owner of the park to fly there. Having your equipment taken by a park ranger or a cop is not a good way to find out.

Always remember in a park that you are in an uncontrolled situation when it comes to Adults, Children & Pets.

About now you are expecting the big lecture about clubs, well sorry to disapoint, but I have flown u-controls and R/C gliders in parks and open spaces over the years.

If you understand the conditions you are putting yourself in and aware of what is going on it can be a fun experiance. But you need most of all to be aware that you have no control over those in the park and their saftey is your responsibility.

My rule of thumb over the years has been, if a park is full of folks with kids and pets to pass on using it for flying. When I was kid, I used parks a lot, but I find it harder and harder to find parks I would be comfortable with to fly in.

My two cents worth.

Bob Ruth

Reply to
BobAndVickey

Short answer, it wouldn't until you fly into a dead zone.

Probably answer is something like don't fly more than 1/3rd way to someone else on same freq or all bets are off.

If he's half a mile (800m) away, you should stay closer then 250m.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher