How do we attract new flyers?

Certainly.

It's just another thing that teenagers are unable to do because of unnecessary restrictions.

My son at age 15 is just as capable of assisting people do their L1s as anyone around. He's not allowed to advertise like the "real people".

Reply to
Chris Lewis

According to RayDunakin :

Ah, but the group of people I hang around with, and the association I belong to _do_. It's _your_ "club" (TRA) that doesn't.

Perhaps. But how do they know without any hints?

It lets people know that they can at least ask.

And he doesn't get treated as a second class citizen by those who don't know.

Do something different in rocketry. Presumably the same as you do.

Reply to
Chris Lewis

Yes I do know that you are a liar, but then everybody knows that!

Reply to
Dave Grayvis

Transferrance.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

More actually.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Well, Ray, lets use my personal experience as an example. That $2.99 Estes Astron X-Ray kit that my Dad bought me way back in 1975 has resulted in a WHOLE lot of money coming into our hobby. Thousands of dollars spent at local hobby shops, catalog sales, internet sales, eBay sales, NAR dues, launch fees, local club dues, charitable contributions (I once bought every Cub Scout at one of our MSRS launches a Wizard kit and have given away rocket kits and starter sets to lots of local kids, neighbor's kids, friend's at work kids). I'll bet there are many, many rocketeers, most of us as a matter of fact, that got into the hobby because of someone elses kindness / generosity. You gotta gamble to win, baby, and that inexpensive kit and a glass of lemonade sound like a good bet to me. Pay forward! SPOON!

Reply to
P.K. Moore

The launches I've attended, people generally respect those who demonstrate knowledge and skill, regardless of age or cert level.

It's pretty easy -- just look at people's rockets, watch them fly, talk to them. When you're at a launch, do you just go around asking people's cert number?

I haven't seen anyone being treated that way at our launches.

But you've been arguing that a person _needs_ a cert level "merit badge" in order to have a real goal and to have your accomplishments recognized.

The point I've been trying to make is that you can have real goals and recognition of accomplishments without cert numbers. In and of themselves, certs really aren't much of an accomplishment anyway, since they only represent a minimal level of skill and knowledge.

Reply to
RayDunakin

But in 1971 or even 1975, we did not have discounters.

retail hobby store or mail order retail was street price in 71-75.

today, street price on a pack of A8-3, B6-4, or C6-7 are 3.99.

so they are cheaper today.

todays' street price on an Bull pup, patriot or other rocket is $6.99-$8.29

Reply to
ArtU

So you are saying in effect manufacturers are receiving NET half of what they used to (adjusted for inflaton). I can see that as a problem.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

This should be in the FAQ.

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

I don't recall paying retail even then.

Mario Perdue NAR #22012 Sr. L2 for email drop the planet

"X-ray-Delta-One, this is Mission Control, two-one-five-six, transmission concluded."

Reply to
Mario Perdue

GO to eBay.

Bid on bulk pack auctions.

Win.

Conduct fun rocket building class for next to nothing.

Create addicts.

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Hey, how much is that Estes 220 Swift kit?

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

I just got a 6-pack of rockets for something like $9.99. We'll see if they're worth it when I get the shipment... I'll probably keep one for myself, and give the rest to friends' kids.

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

I use SemRoc Tritons

Great old time instrucitons, that look up to date, and very pretty, and make real sense.

List price $2.50, what a DEAL !

I go though lots of these.

Art Upton

ArtU

we did here in toledo. nothing else other then the "hobby store", and the local gun store mostly.

yes, the local gun store is where most of us bought our first rocket in my neighborhood out side of toledo, ohio. on the way home from school no less. Sport Shop is what they called those back then.

1969 that was.

in 71 I was 11, and remember paying the price on the package mostly.

later that seemed to change, when we found the point place hobby store, heck they stocked CRM and enerjet even.

Seems as ones sphere of purchasing area expanded, we found lower prices.

humm..

ArtU

Reply to
ArtU

Given the current state of paranoia, you don't attract new flyers. You need to change the national agenda away from "fight the terrorists" BUSH-isms to "let's get back to our lives" rationalsm.

Rocket motors are not terrorist's weapons, they are hobbyist's toys.

Reply to
LittleGreyPoodle

Did some more surfing at that site. What's the largest engine you can buy without a cert - E? I just saw this:

seems like a low enough price to get into mid-power rocketry, but if I can't get engines...

Eldred

Reply to
EldredP

Better deal on big kits here:

-Fred Shecter NAR 20117

Reply to
Fred Shecter

Hey Eldrede,

Art was the guy selling stuff under the blue Pop-Up at the JMRC Launch...you can actually put your hands on them in person....which ...for me....means I am taking them Home!!!! ;-)

Mark A Palmer

Tra 08542 L3

Reply to
Mark A Palmer