How do we attract new flyers?

Chris L. wrote:

If "nobody" recognizes someone's accomplishment, whether that somebody is a kid or not, is hard to believe. If that's really happening in your club, you need to educate the members or find a better group of people to hang out with.

Most of the people I know respect people who demonstrate knowledge, skill and ability regardless of their cert number (or lack thereof). Remember, certs only require _minimal_ knowledge, skill and ability -- and there are plenty of folks who never really progress beyond the minimum.

So which would you prefer: That your kid be respected for actually _having_ a respectable level of knowledge, skill and ability? Or that he be judged on a mere number which only proves he has a minimum of knowledge, skill and ability?

Reply to
RayDunakin

Patrick H. replied:

I agree, that's a good reason. I don't think everyone who puts their cert number in their sig is doing it just to brag.

Yes, that's true. However, even under the current rules certs are only permits, and they only require a minimal accomplishment to obtain them.

Reply to
RayDunakin

That's the American way. And it's far easier to accept it than fight it :)

Doug

Reply to
Doug Sams

They do in any state that has adopted the NFPA codes. However, even as "internal club rules" certs are still merely a form of permit, not an achievement award.

Several reasons... First off, the folks with the merit badge mentality are the ones who are always trying convince the rest of us that we need harder certs and more cert levels -- certs for staging, certs for clustering, certs for using electronics, etc etc ad nauseum. It's sickening, and counterproductive.

Secondly, unless these folks learn to find fullfillment in their actual achievements, rather than looking for continual "awards", they will drop out of the hobby once they've reached the top cert level and feel they've "done everything". I've seen lots of folks who have dropped out after Level 3, saying they've done it all, when in reality there are a great many challenging aspects of the hobby that they never even attempted simply because it wouldn't get them an ego-stroking merit badge.

Third, I think the people who demand "merit badges" are actually the source of the problem that they complain about. To whit: They say if you don't have a cert you can't get any respect for your accomplishments. Well why aren't they GIVING people respect for their accomplishments, instead of focusing on some arbitrarily defined permit that can be obtained with only the MINIMUM level of accomplishment?

Reply to
RayDunakin

That was before my BARdom. Gotta play by the current rules, or fly non-club.

Some of us, although we may hate it, recognize we are social animals. I like flying with a lot of people. I like to build rockets alone. Go figger, cause I can't.

Patrick - darn, they HAD to put extreme South Park on the weekend I was going to update the club website

Reply to
Patrick Harvey

Then why does TRA have an L2 requirement for all those who wish to fill its ADMINISTRATIVE / LEADERSHIP positions?

Bob Kaplow

No. We want access to be as restricted as possible to funnel tithe to Orem and to make sure only blessed ones can use the "gold of the gods".

We want to require rules and permits WELL beyond the law to that effect.

And also a labrynth of good old boys to further vett "undesireables".

Motors are sacred. Get with the program!

Jerry

TRA 012

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Did that have the one with Red Rocket on it?

Reply to
Phil Stein

Reply to
Phil Stein

lies

Someones gota do it

Removed by BOD vote.

Do you ever get tired of expounding half truth and lies, in the form of sour grapes??

fred

Reply to
W. E.Fred Wallace

I believe it's a requirement for things like "prefect" and "RSO".

-dave w

Reply to
David Weinshenker

Yup. Because Prefects handle certs up to L2, it's no different NAR requiring a L2 flier to sign off on a L2 cert.

The Safety Code just requires that the RSO be a certified flier. For EX launches, the RSO must be L2, but you have to be L2 to fly at EX launches.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

The original message was about BOD. Dave did a Jerry on it.

Reply to
Phil Stein

I should say my intrepretaion of the original message was that it applied to the BOD. After all they are one of Bob's favorite targets.

Like I said Dave did a Jerry on it.

Reply to
Phil Stein

So you are saying the truth is slowly coming out despite folks like you?

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

That would be the folks who want to treat certs as merit badges.

Reply to
RayDunakin

And board members.

Bob Kaplow

Nope. That would be the folks who AUTHORED that certs are legally required in some states for HPR motor access and despite the LAW and a COURT ORDER (they promulgated!) still illegally and inadvisedly demand ATF permits.

You know your buddies you stupid moron.

You are who you hang out with Ray.

Jerry

Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Nope. BoD members must be "senior members", which means that they're at least 21 years old. No certification level required.

-Kevin

Reply to
Kevin Trojanowski

No, He said, "The original message was about BOD. Dave did a Jerry on it."

jerry, you and the truth, have nothing in common.

Reply to
Dave Grayvis