Re: Children... Do something to attract new rocketeers

Yes but we like being lectured about it even less than we like doing
it. Lecturing only encourages the behavior.

>Read the above, snipped from a post about attracting new rocket flyers. Do
>you people realize how childish you actually are?
Reply to
Phil Stein

Occasionally technical disagreements, but no petty bickering. rmr will always be about jerry thanks to the "keep rmr about jerry" club.
Joel. phx
I talked to a father and son at a Walmart the other day. I'm pretty sure he went home with the Snapshot. It would be easier if the city of Peoria didn't prohibit rockets in their parks.
Reply to
Joel Corwith
I don't know. It's right up there with RC planes and apparently archery.
Joel. phx
And technically, you can -IF- you receive written consent (which was not on the sign at the park). Phoenix has no such limitations.
10. No person shall do any of the following without the written consent of the Community Services Director:
a. Operate a boat, raft, model watercraft or model aircraft.
b. Launch a rocket.
c. Engage in archery.
d. Drive golf balls.
Reply to
Joel Corwith
shall do any of the following without the written consent of
Drive golf balls? Maybe not, but will they let you whack at them with those funny sticks?
steve
Reply to
default
Is that an actual statute, or just what a beat cop told you? Just curious... I figure I'll find a local park to launch at until I get stopped by a cop.
Eldred
Reply to
EldredP
I usually go with the flow but I agree with Phil. What Doug had to say in substance was helpful, no doubt, but the tone wasn't.
My ORIGINAL post really referred to how we can KEEP kids flying until they migrate into their teens and beyond. Not to dis the mod roc people either. We have dads and grandpas in our club who fly NOTHIN BUT model rockets. Most of them put the big rocs to shame in detail.
I've never seen a kid - in my "few" years of going to launches of all types - dislike a rocket launch. Try hauling THEIR butts away from a computer once they discover AIM, other-gendered classmates and I-pods.
Reply to
Gene Costanza
My previous residence was about a half mile from Kissena Park (in Queens, NYC). When I was like 8-10, Kissena had a bevy of R/C and model rocket regulars despite there being bans/laws to the contrary. No one ever had a hassle back then, but - as with most people in this hobby - most flyers kept it cool.
Musta been late summer or early fall '98 when I got the bug. I used to sneak out at around 5:30 AM or so, get over to the baseball diamonds on my side of the park (you can tell that NYC's crowded if you ever saw this field: four backstops pointing in the direction of a common centerfield... with four softball games going at once).
One rather windless day, I was flying everything from 1/2A's to D's and dropping them less than 100' from my pad (several flights between 600 and 1200' altitude, too). Got so caught up in flying that I hadn't noticed two unmarkeds, one NYPD cruiser, one NYPD Emergency Services and two EMS "buses" hanging out in the parking lot, fraternizing amongst themselves and watching each flight. After I flew my Custom Redliner on a D12-7 (min. dia.), all 12 pair of eyes were pegged skyward. It dropped about 300 from me (about a quarter the way to them). When I picked it up, one of the plainclothes gave me one of those smirky headshakes. They split about 7:30.
That's when I put an E15 in another min dia rocket I had... teeheehee I wasn't gonna push it with the audience. Besides, my parole officer said I had to "make nice"...... B-)>
Reply to
Gene Costanza
Neither would I. There are other, much better places for newbies and for anyone who wants to avoid the stuff that goes on here. Rocketry Online, The Rocketry Forum, TRA listserv, etc.
It's been posted before, but here's mine. Lots of useful rocketry info, staging, clusters, camera payload construction, launch photos, tons of awesome rocket aerial photos, etc...
Perhaps, but not always -- and the big stuff does attract a lot of attention.
Reply to
RayDunakin
You mean, thanks to Jerry. No one posts about Jerry except in response to Jerry's BS. Until Jerry finally sits down and shuts up, he will always try to turn rmr into his own personal pulpit.
Reply to
RayDunakin
It's the folks that seem to take categorical exception to anything Jerry says that are raising the noise level far more than anything Jerry actually says.
Whenever folks become fixated on "getting rid of" any one particular poster, it makes a negative dynamic in the newsgroup. If Jerry is indeed such a fool, readers can come to that conclusion themselves... all the hissing and carping made me curious: "who is Jerry Irvine and why are people the people who are saying such nasty things about him so eager to get everyone to gang up on their side?" (It's sort of like the counterproductive nature of the "war on drugs" propaganda... kids are gonna go "what's this 'Marijuana' stuff that everyone is so scandalized about, anyway?")
-dave w
Reply to
David Weinshenker
NO, I don't. Do NOT presume to tell me what I mean.
I MEAN thanks to {people} who do not have the decency to ignore him or only post their position once.
Keeping rmr about Jerry. Thanks. Have you -NOT- noticed for every reply you make, he makes another? As a non-moderated group, it's up to the indivdual to have the class to keep threads on topic (rocketry) and to stop taking the bait.
You do realize that people with filters will now see his message just because you've responded.
Why is it you and your fellow club members don't understand that you can't make Jerry "sit down and shut up"? Posting the reply knowing he will respond ~keeps~ rmr about Jerry.
Joel. phx
"How do we attract new flyers?"
\-155 RayDunakin Jul 18, 2004 |-156 Jerry Irvine Jul 18, 2004 | \-157 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | \-158 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | \-159 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | |-160 W. E.Fred Wallace Jul 19, 2004 | \-161 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | |-162 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | \-163 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | | |-164 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-165 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | \-166 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | |-167 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | | | |-168 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-169 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-170 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-171 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-172 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | | \-173 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | |-174 David Weinshenker Jul 19, 2004 | | | |-175 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-176 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | | \-177 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | \-178 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | \-179 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004 | | \-180 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | |-181 Phil Stein Jul 19, 2004 | | \-182 David Weinshenker Jul 19, 2004 | | \-183 Jerry Irvine Jul 19, 2004 | \-184 Dave Grayvis Jul 19, 2004
Does -Does NOT Does Too -Not Too -prove it no, -you- prove it -Moron Imbicile -bickhead drone
Reply to
Joel Corwith
"EldredP" wrote in message
Put the following into yahoo
"{state name} {city name} parks"
Look up your own flying area. First search page, 2 clicks I got to:
I was going to fly a 'nerf-like' rc plane in the Glendale flood canal park and they also had a large sign. "DO NOT: : Operate radio-controlled models and model rockets. Operate unlicensed motorized vehicles (ATVs, motorized skateboards). Land or launch airplanes, helicopters, gliders, hot air balloons or parachutes. 27-51"
Joel. phx
A scout leader was asked to leave a Peoria park with the rockets. He didn't want to argue in front of the kids so they went to a Phoenix park. Cop came up and he was ready to go through it with him when the cop basically said "looks like fun, have a good time".
Reply to
Joel Corwith
You gotta wonder how much is really gross paranoia of "terrorism" and nothing at all to do with liability or injuries.
ALL I claim. MR has a PERFECT safety record as compared to local regs.
Jerry
Reply to
Jerry Irvine

Site Timeline