Need help with battery charges and batteries....please

I just bought a MRC Super Brain 959 charger, the difficulty i am having is figuring out how to set it up to charge flight packs. I like to make my own packs. The MRC charges 3 to 8 cell AA and sub-C NIcd and NImh batteries and can be adjusted to 0.5 amps up to 4.5 amps with

0.5 amp increments and delta peak voltage thresholds from 5mV up to 70mV increments. The pack I made for one plane is a 7 cell 8.4 volt 600mAh NIcd and the pack that came with a RTF plane is a 7 cell 8.4 volt 600mAh NImh. What would be the amp and mV settings on my charger for these packs???? How long should I charge new packs???? I would like to note that the NIcd pack I made for my one plane ( Kyosho Spree) is tight fitting in the battery compartment, but the NImh pack that came with the RTF ( Megatech Airstrike) fits inside the Spree fine being that it is smaller in size....would that pack be ok to use in my Spree??Both are the same volts and mAh. If I can I would have to check my CG on the Spree being that it is a lighter battery. Also what would cause problems like glitches in elevator and rudder and eratic motor running.......on,off,on.....on my Airstrike. I charged the batteries using the supplied charger.....only took 30 min.....and turned on my Tx and then Rx the elvator would deflect down so much that I could not adjust the control horn clevis. Sometimes nothing would work at all.....I took it back to the hobby shop and got an exchange...but I am still having the same problem with this one??? Would a weak battery cause this??? Do I need to charge it longer then the recomended 30 min???? I would like to use the NImh batteries and also increase flight time of my planes..... how many volts, mAh or both can I "upgrade" too (with out "burning" up my rx,motor and servos)????? I will list the 3 planes I would like to make packs for with gear I have in them. Kyosho Spree: 380 geared motor,GreatPlanes 5 ch Elictrifly rx with 30 A ESC and BEC, standard servos.( Kyosho recomends using a 7 cell 8.4 600mAh NIcd AE pack) GWS Tiger Moth: 180 IPS motor geared, Hitech feather light rx, GreatPlanes 10A ESC with BEC, hs55 micro servos. ( GWS recomends 6 cell 110 to 150mAh Nicd packs) Megatech Airstrike: 380 geared, factory installed components ( pack supllied with it is a 7 cell 8.4 volt 600mAh NImh )

Any HELP........A BIG Thank You Mike

Reply to
Mike R.

Fir Nicads, multiply the pack capacity ny three for charge current. I think the normal delta peak is about 50mV for those.

For NiMh use the capacity, and set teh delta peak much lower. I think around 7mV is optinmal, but I am not an exoert here. Maybe Red will be along soon...

Not sure on NiMh. But new Nicads shold be charged for 10 hours at 1/10th capacity current.

So to recap. with e.g. a 600mA/h NiCd pack.

First charge for 10 hoirs at 60mA.

Then subsequently charge at no more than 1.8A, with delta peak set to around 50mV.

For NiMh, charge at no more than 600mA for that size pack, with a 10mV delta peak.

Not sure. NiMh packs have less vcurrent delivery capability, capcaity for capacity, than NiCd.

Yes.

Motor interference. Check the range out with antyenna down, and motor off. If that checks out OK, try with motor on. If this starts the problems up again, you need to suppress the motirs. Check out the FAQ'sd in the power forun on

Something else is wrong.

Rather OTT ESC there. You only need about 12A to drive a 380. Its unlikely that a 600mA/h NiMh will have enough power to fly that though. Normal NiMh for that class of motor is HECELL 1100 or KAN950/1050.

Yes. That plane needs a lighter pack than the 380 motor stuff. You won;t be able to use teh smae cells in it.

Sounds better.

Unkless you want to go for Lihium Polymer batteries, your best bet is to go for KAN 1050 cells in 7 or 8 cell packs for the 380 class motors.

The IPS motor takes only about 2A, and generally 600mA/h NiMh cells will fly it fine.

DO join the e-zone online site.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher