Anyone got a free Machinist Calculator for PDA or phone?

I had one several years ago, and the damned pda disappeared out of my truck..damnit

Anyone got a machinist calculator that will run on a pda or perhaps a cell phone?

Free of course..or I can trade ya Stuff

This is the first mill (Abene) Ive owned that actually had power feed..so Im needing a speeds and feeds calculator

Much obliged

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

RPM = SFM / (.262xDIA) IPM = RPM * TOTAL CHIPLOAD

example

.5 4 flute cutter at 100sfm with .005 ipt

100 / (.262 * .5) = 190 RPM

190 * (.005 x 4) = 3.8 IPM

Reply to
tnik

Black Dragon

Hey...thats cool!

But..I dont think it will run on a Motorola V950

But many thanks!

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch

Cool I'll DL that rat now!

Reply to
RBnDFW

I have Machinists Toolbox PDA on my palm. I'm not that impressed by it and I respect copyright.

I've made one or two half hearted attempts to resurect my palm programming enviroment in order to port some of Marv's excellent programs but stuff comes up, I loose interest, yada. Being interested in almost everything has some drawbacks.

It also is a bit harder since Palm has wandered off somewhere else. I bumped into the cd that came with a Palm PDA programming book I bought many years ago book recently, maybe this winter, I'll try again if I haven't abandoned my Palm TE by then. I may be mistaken but the TX can't do wpa2 so I'm not going to buy the end of the line model. If that isn't so, I'll buy a TX to run for a couple more years. Anyone using a TX and wpa2?

I can not remember the google smart phone but is it something that could fill in for my Palm? Also is it opensource, the iphone sounds like it is locked down for apples profit center. I'm going to have to move on eventually.

If I could move all my stuff over to a smartphone that I could program, I'd be on that like stink on chit.

Wes

Wes

that isn't

I recently bought my ex the HTC (Google) Hero smart phone. Big display, very few buttons (3). Seems to be holding up pretty well so far. Lots of free aps for it, but it is from Sprint.

I think it was $75 on special.

She really likes it compared to her previous Samsung Instinct..which was in the shop with far too much regularlity.

Shrug

Gunner

One could not be a successful Leftwinger without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of Leftwingers, a goodly number of Leftwingers are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid. Gunner Asch

Reply to
Gunner Asch

into the cd

be mistaken

If that isn't

Wes, I understand lots of people are unlocking iPhones to run non-approved apps, and also to use it with non-AT&T carriers. I also believe the programming environment is very friendly. The iPhone is an amazing device. I think it would be worthwhile to pursue it as a platform.

Reply to
RBnDFW

enviroment in

bumped into the cd

recently, maybe

may be mistaken

If that isn't

fill in for my

apples profit

I believe the Droid environment is as capable or more capable than the iPhone, and is an open environment so you don't have to fight a loony company in order to produce and market your apps.

One long time iPhone fan I know just finally gave up on the iPhone after a couple weeks with the iPhone 4. The problem was more one of the hopelessly inadequate network behind it i.e. ATT and the fact that despite years of network problems they have still not upgraded their network adequately.

My cell is on Verizon, and over the past year we have both been at the same places a lot and a great many times I have perfect service on my phone while he had no service. The clincher was recently when we were both standing *inside* a 40' steel cargo container in the middle of nowhere where he had no service, and I was receiving and sending text messages with no issues despite having zero bars of signal.

He is using his cell a lot more for work and can simply not tolerate the constant dropped calls and frequent areas of no coverage. He uses/used a lot of apps on the iPhone, so he was leery of a change, but he reviewed all the apps he uses and found the same or comparable apps available for the Droid. It was amusing watching him order up an HTC Droid Incredible at the Verizon store.

Reply to
Pete C.

enviroment in

bumped into the cd

recently, maybe

may be mistaken

If that isn't

fill in for my

apples profit

I hear that a lot about AT&T, but I've found it more than adequate for my needs. Most of my usage is in the DFW area, but I've had 3G access on mountaintops in the Pacific Northwest and long empty highway stretches in the midwest. there are some areas of texas which are pretty hopeless for signal, but thats true of other carriers as well

My daughter had an Android phone, and her gripe was the lack of free apps. The apps she wanted were more expensive and some had a monthly charge. I was getting the same or better apps for free or a couple dollars. She finally gave up and got an iPhone, loves it.

I'm not saying it's perfect. The closed-environment is something I avoid on my PC, and I hate having to do everything through a buggy iTunes sync. Half the time I can't get me phone to sync, or even be recognized by Tunes.

But the OS is elegant, the screen is gorgeous, and I can read it without glasses. And the apps are simply amazing.

Having said all that, I've not doubt the Droid is catching up fast. They have a lot of corporate hor$epower driving it.

Reply to
RBnDFW

and I respect

enviroment in

loose interest,

bumped into the cd

recently, maybe

may be mistaken

model. If that isn't

fill in for my

apples profit

I'd be on that

That 40' cargo container I was sending and receiving Verizon text messages inside was in Honey Grove.

I expect this has changed a lot. My friend found that a few apps that had been missing on the Droid side were available when he looked a few weeks later.

Yes, while in that Verizon store I played with that HTC Droid Incredible, and have played with my friend iPhone 4 and I found little difference between then, in fact the Droid seemed faster. Convergence...

Of course personally, I have neither, just a Motorola Z6c which is one of Verizon's "world" phones that does GSM. Not a smart phone, but not a dumb phone either, camera, pic and vid messaging, and most important - works most everywhere - including in Egypt when I was there on vacation. Heck, it even worked on the dive yacht in the Red Sea when we were not too far out.

Reply to
Pete C.

and I respect

enviroment in

loose interest,

bumped into the cd

recently, maybe

may be mistaken

model. If that isn't

fill in for my

apples profit

I'd be on that

Gee, I don't think I can top that one

Reply to
RBnDFW

I believe the term used is 'Jailbreaking'. I don't have a iPhone since I don't care to buy into a data plan at this time.

I'll give smart phones another year or so to mature.

Thanks,

Wes

Wes

I'm severely afflicted with the last bit of your statement...

There is always Onboard C. Runs on your Palm and can compile/create C programs for it. See:

I have it on my main computer but don't know if I'm up to messing around with on my Tungsten E. My C skills are minimal...

Another possibility is Small Basic. Runs on both Windows and Palm. See:

And HotPaw Basic, the free version has some limitations though. See:

Yet another possibility if you have good formulas ready to go is LyME. I've messed around with it some, but nothing at all complicated.

"LyME is a port of LME ("Lightweight Math Engine", the heart of Sysquake) to Palm OS handheld devices. It implements about 320 native commands, functions and operators, mostly compatible with Matlab. It requires Palm OS 3.1 or higher and at least 1 MBytes of memory free."

See:

You could probably use EasyCalc and its Solver for many of Marv's little calculators. It is pretty easy to work with (Solver). I have a few financial formulas set up using Solver. Be warned though, the backup flag isn't set for the Palm file used to keep Solver formulas. In other words if you have to restore from backup, you will have lost all your Solver entries. Found that out the hard way. Glad I had my formulas written down. I have the backup flag for it set now :)

I didn't check all the above links. I have all these programs stashed somewhere though if you are truly interested in any of them.

Reply to
Leon Fisk

enviroment in

Just got this:

App Inventor for Android

App Inventor is a new tool in Google Labs that makes it easy for anyone ?programmers and non-programmers, professionals and students?to create mobile applications for Android-powered devices. Regardless of your level of programming experience, App Inventor gives you the opportunity to control and reshape your communication experience. Sign up on the App Inventor site to receive an invitation to try it out.

RBnDFW

sdfgsdg

I had that a number of years ago..and the Palm I had, disappeared out of my truck.

I cant buy another version of it at this time.

Id love to..but...shrug

My truck blew up 30 miles from the house tonight. Probably a blown headgasket....sigh....

Gunner

Reply to
Gunner Asch