Looking for a motor

Gents,

For the last 30 years I have been running my ML7R on a DC motor to get speed control in the days before semiconductor advances allowed the cheap production of 3 phase inverters. I'd like to convert to such an inverter fairly soon.I've got inverters in stock but I'm looking for a dual voltage 3/4 horse, 4 pole (1425rpm) three phase TEFC motor Ideally a foot mount or combined foot/flange but even a flange only mount would do as I can make a mount for it. Ideally one in the south of UK would be good but prepared to collect from midlands say (if my passport has not run out lol)

More than happy with a second hand one in exchange for a couple of beer vouchers.

Anyone got anything taking up room under the bench?

I've been looking on fleabay for the last couple of weeks but nearly everything is 1.5hp and above of stupid money.

Tia

Bob

Reply to
bob minchin

Bob

I've got a 1/2 horse one needinga good home.

Charles

Reply to
Charles P

Bob, Got one here that's come off a Myford, not sure what HP, it's either 3/4 or 4/4 I can check tomorrow , its dark here and that workshop is bloody haunted...

John s.

Reply to
John S

quote "that workshop is bloody > haunted..." John, you really ought not to lock Gert up in the shop overnight!

If you could have a look sometime I'd be grateful. Charles P has a 1/2 hp but I think the standard fit was 3/4.

Regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Charles. I had a mate travel down from suffolk and we had dinner together only last night. 'king typical!! I'm near Southampton so quite a way to your place. John S might have something suitable too. Can I see what transpires in the next few days/week and get back to you please.

Reply to
Bob Minchin

rles

Bob, I don't have a spare motor, but now live in Felixstowe and my oldest mate moved to Southampton, so do that route quite regularly if you need something couriered.

Reply to
Cliff Ray

I bought a 0.75kw from

for £58 + VAT IIRC for my lathe. Marelli motor I run on an AB Inverter. Very happy with it. Actually cheaper today

Richard

Reply to
Richard Edwards

Got a 0.75Hp one here still with Myford pulley on the sticky out bit, dual wound. Ten quid sound OK ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

Very acceptable indeed John. Thank You! I'll put a beer voucher in the post to you tomorrow. Not sure when I can get up to you or maybe there is someone going partway in the right direction. Maybe you can pop it under Gert's pillow for safekeeping for a while! Best regards

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Cliff,

Thanks for the kind offer. Looks like John has a motor that is spot on for my needs so won't need the Suffolk courier service this time.

Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Charles but it looks like John S has one to meet my needs. Cheers

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

John, I see that Stevenson towers is on Google Street View. Even got the 'Reliant on Steroids' van on view!! Fame at last! Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

You mean the Donald or the fork truck ?

John S.

Reply to
John S

The red one! That is yours I think?

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Looks like it needs a clean, the paintwork is all blurry :-)

(is it possible for someone to make a complaint about a picture of their property being blurred out?)

Mark Rand RTFM

Reply to
Mark Rand

Still not shifted all those paving stones I see John !!!!

AWEM

Reply to
Andrew Mawson

Hi Richard,

I was very impressed by their prices for new motors considering the eye watering prices asked by other suppliers. I've bookmarked them for other applications particularly if I'm supplying some of my paying customers. Thanks

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Hi Bob

Peripheral to your question, I wonder if you, or anybody else could help; I have a DC motor and controller from a washing machine which I would like to use on my lathe to obtain speed control. The only problem I have is I haven't got a wiring diagram and have no idea where to find one although I have trawled the net.

If I junk the existing controller, what I would like is information so I can make or buy a suitable controller.

What I presumably need is a method of rectification and a speed controller. The only controllers I have found have been too expensive to make the project worthwhile.

Any assistance gratefully received.

John

Reply to
John

Could be grunty enuff, depending on the lathe - let's assume a Myford or similar, needs about 2/3 HP, mebbe even a Boxford at 1.5 HP or so - but I've never come across a DC main motor in a washing machine. Are you entirely certain it's DC?

I guess I only get to look inside old washing machines, but I've looked at quite a lot of them...

The only

make is not really practical, even if electronic genius, easier to earn money and buy one.

buy yes, but it will take time and looking if you want a cheap one, see below.

I bought a 3/4 HP Leeson Speedmaster DC motor controller for £12.71 on fleabay a fortnight ago - been looking for a bargain for six months or more - and bought a 650W 90V DC motor for £14 several months before that.

But there have been several 0.5-1.0 HP inverter drives going at sub-£40 prices on fleabay recently, rather than the £90 or so they were a few months ago, maybe worth a look?

However, you will then need a dual-voltage 3-phase AC motor ... come to think of it, I need to buy one too, as I just bought a 3/4 HP inverter for £19 odd ...

:)

-- Peter Fairbrohter

dam cant speel my one name

Reply to
Peter Fairbrother
0:50:46 +0100, Bob Minchin

I've laid about half of the lorry load, got about 5 more pallets to lay and then there will be about 18 to go on Ebay.

Pictures here.

John S.

Reply to
John S