Bevel gears - Parallel Depth Method

I'm using Ivan Law's book to design / cut some bevel gears usig the "Parallel Depth Method". An errors or omissions in his text? Seems OK,
but not done this before and I'd rather find mistakes on paper rather than on the machine!
I'm planning to cut two gear sets, one 26:14 and one 14:13 both 45deg bevel. (I've picked odd numbers because someone told me it's good practice not to have the same teeth coming into mesh all the time).
Regards
Steve
Steve wrote:

Can't help with any errors in Ivan Law's book but the concept of the odd teeth numbers is called a hunting tooth. The idea being that periodically every tooth sees every tooth on the other gear so that errors in the profile aren't accentuated as could happen if the same set of teeth always meshed. I have seen it said that with modern production techniques with higher accuracy it is less necessary though.

As a first attempt a cutting gears in the home workshop, not sure "modern production techniques with higher accuracy" will apply!
:)
Steve
Steve wrote:

OK I quite agree with that, I was aware I might get that come back from the comment

Steve, have a look at: Subject title: <Gear Cutting for the lathe> in the rec.crafts.metalworking archives for 11 Nov 1007, by Stealth Pilot. You may find some hints for your bevel gears even tho' the article is about spur gears.
Mike in BC

First mistake is the gears wouldn't be 45deg at those ratio's... I'll dig the Stealh Pilot paper and see what learnings there are there.
Thanks
I have cut bevel gears using Ivan Law's book (No17 in the Workshop practice series)and they work fine. Used the method for the differential on my Foden lorry at 3" scale last time round which is the largest I have cut.
Alan

Thanks Alan, good to know I'm not going to trip over any deliberate mistakes in the text.
Steve

Site Timeline