Bevel Gears + Hunting Tooth

I understand it's bad practice to have the ratios between pinions set such as the same teeth always mesh - is this true for bevel gears? I'm going to cut a couple of bevel gears using the parallel depth method and a pair with

15 teeth, 40DP each would be best, but 15 teeth and 18 teeth I can live with if the "hunting tooth"(?) is likely to be a material issue. The shaft will probably be turning at around 500 - 1000rpm.

TIA

Steve

Reply to
Steve

Depends on the application. If you were designing a differential for a production car then yes it is important but for a one off?? Only you can tell. Ask yourself how much work it will do, will a bit of noise when it wears be an issue and how much grief will you have in N years if you have to replace the gears? Getting a good tooth geometry would be more important to my way of thinking.

Bob

Reply to
Bob Minchin

Thanks Bob. Sounds like I can cut them 1:1 which will mean only one setup and a better fit between the pair. This won't run long enough to get worn!

You can tell I'm learning - I've started looking for the difference between the "correct" method and the best method for the job at hand!

Steve

Reply to
Steve

I would be more concerned about making 'straight' teeth ie spurs with angled reeth, tou should be making helicals, if you have a problem, I can help.

Peter

Reply to
Drawfiler