ring & pinion gears (car axles)

I may come to need a pair of helical gears to change a shaft direction

90 degrees, with a reduction of about 4:1 to 5:1 .

Though they are a bit large, the cheapest sources of these is the gears from car axles. The stress they will be placed under in my use will be drastically less than what they'd get moving a car around.

What does the measurement of car R&P sets refer to exactly? I can't find any place that says.

Second I have noticed that many axles are not bevel gears but hypoids. I would need to know the shaft offset to make a proper housing, since axle pumpkins are way heavier than I'd want. Is there anywhere online that gives that info?

If there is any other source of perpendicular ring & pinions around

5"-6" diameter I'd like to hear about it. ....ATV's are around the perfect size, but at $200+ a pair, they cost as much as the much-stronger 7"+ car gears. ....Golf carts all seem to use parallel drive methods (roller pinions instead of bevel gear pinions). ....custom gear places would want $500 to make a pair of hardened gears that size. ....I have looked at a lot of surplus miter gear boxes, but they're usually straight-cut gears, or have a reduction ratio that is too high.
Reply to
DougC

The measurement is the ring gear OD. if you don't need much load capability, go with the smallest dia you can find in the ratio you need.

4.56 and 4.88 are pretty common ratios, though usually on fairly large gears for larger trucks.

Have you looked for a right angle gearbox on surpluscenter.com ? You can likely find something better than auto diff gears there.

Reply to
Pete C.

How about an old shaft drive motorcycle rear end? Then you wouldn't have to build a housing.

Karl

Reply to
Karl Townsend

I've seen 4.56:1 sets, but they're usually about ten inches in diameter.

4.56:1 means that the pinion shaft turns four and one half times for every revolution of the ring gear. Size is usually O.D., IIRC, but it's been a long while.

Good question.

ATVs were the source I was going to suggest. Try Burden Surplus at

. I've seen them there, complete with trannies. $15-350. Complete ZTR left/right Transaxle Assemblies are about $699.

Burden might also have right angle gear reduction units for cheaper prices (made for DC motor use.)

-- Threee days before Tucson, Howard Dean explained that the tea party movement is "the last gasp of the generation that has trouble with diversity." Rising to the challenge of lowering his reputation and the tone of public discourse, Dean smeared tea partiers as racists: They oppose Obama's agenda, Obama is African-American, ergo...

Let us hope that Dean is the last gasp of the generation of liberals whose default position in any argument is to indict opponents as racists. This McCarthyism of the left

-- devoid of intellectual content, unsupported by data -- is a mental tic, not an idea but a tactic for avoiding engagement with ideas. It expresses limitless contempt for the American people, who have reciprocated by reducing liberalism to its current characteristics of electoral weakness and bad sociology. --George Will 14 JAN 2011 Article titled "Tragedies often spark plenty of analysis"

Reply to
Larry Jaques

What Karl said. Here's one from a GoldWing, has one measly $25 bid, with less than a day remaining.

Reply to
Beryl

1928 to 1948 Ford car rear axles are coplanar with helical gears. HTH, Bob
Reply to
Bob

Are you looking for one unit or a steady source?

Speed, torque, horsepower?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

This is for a ~5 hp engine for a bicycle, and I only need one.

My concern with the surplus and motorcycle drives is if the gears would eat themselves, would there be a source of new parts at realistic prices?

The car R&Ps are huge, fairly cheap and new sets are easily available if (somehow) the first one would end up failing. I wouldn't need an entire CAD file of the whole rear-end, just the axis offsets--and the gear manufacturer would know that.

The ATV unit is about ideal, but I think the only ATV ring & pinion gears I have found at all are for the Honda TRX 300,,,, a model that the factory stopped building eleven years ago.

I'm looking at re-arranging the engine to avoid the 90-degree gears at all though.

Reply to
DougC

If you can engineer one unit to fit, why couldn't you redesign for a different one?

jsw

Reply to
Jim Wilkins

DougC wrote in rec.crafts.metalworking on Sat, 16 Apr 2011 14:12:54 -0500:

you might check with the Jeep/4x4/off road folks(forums/newsgroups), as they often swap out the ring and pinion sets when beefing up their rigs. And you might be able to contact someone at the auto/truck gear set mfg. that can tell you what the offset for a particular set of gears/ axle.

Reply to
dan

jsw

Reply to