Bevel Gears?

I am trying to make a file to model a bevel gear set. The only problem left is I get zero width geometry when I try and array the loft cut feature of the gear. Any ideas on how to approach this?

snipped-for-privacy@att.net/Gear1.sldprt

snipped-for-privacy@att.net/Gear2.sldprt

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Gear1: I made a circular array w/ 20 teeth no problemo. First add a datum axis through center of Revolve1 and use it for revolve array axis.

I hope the gear tooth profiles are only decorative and not for actual CAD-to-part. Using an arc is a poor substitute for an involute. Expect noise, vibration, erratic power transfer, and excessive wear.

Reply to
That70sTick

The gear profiles are only for tec illustration purposes. I have a Lisp routine that I can use in AutoCAD to make real gear profiles, which can be imported into SolidWorks. I have now made the file to model bevel gears at shaft angle between greater than zero and less than or equal to 90, one for spur gears. My worm wheel file still needs a little work. My internal and external thread file defined. Are not gear teeth and threads normally defined by a callout of some sort.

Bob

Reply to
<castlebravo242

Is the problem with representations the surfaces or their definitions?

Thought these were interesting enough to remember ...

... and they represent 250%+ of my knowledge re the subject. It's a casual interest. Its curious that none of the CAD comics or 'machine design' How To articles on the subject ever mention any of it.

Reply to
nitnit

I did some work for a client recently who did a lot of gear stuff, they invested in this:

I didn't get the oppertunity to play with it - but It looked very impressive and from some of the finished parts (moulded gears) it worked a treat.

Kev

Reply to
alphawave