SW 2003 to 2004 translation

Hello everyone,
We are having some problems with opening assemblies in SW2004 that have been created with SW2003. I get various errors, from mate
errors, to failed cavities & fillets, among others. When these files are opened with SW2003, the files have no errors.
Some assemblies reqire us to open all referenced files and force-rebuild the ones with errors. This fixes about half of the files that originally opened with errors. The other half need to have the features repaired or re-created.
Verification on rebuild is on. these are small mold assemblies.
I've been in contact with our VAR, they say that they can repair the files that I've sent them, but that's as far as they are willing to go. Of course I can repair them, but we have an archive of thousands of files in a read-only directory. Now when we need to send files to a vendor, about 35% of them need to be repaired first. That's probably hundreds of files.
Is anyone else having problems opening older files? if so, how are you handling the issue? Is this a solidworks bug? like with other SW issues, our VAR doesn't want to admit there is a "problem" with the software, yet offers no solution or preventative measure. What are we paying them for? I would hope that that files that we create are good for more that one release. It's bad enough you can't go BACK one or two versions, now it seems we can't go FORWARD one version without problems.
<end rant>
If anyone has any suggestions regarding what, if anything, is being done wrong or if we are simply doomed to repairing our archived files, your input would be appreciated.
Same problems here with similar results, although you've gotten better results from your VAR. I have identified a definite behavior change in the variable radius fillet feature. I have not had time to investigate beyond that. It seems to be using a different tolerance for what is considered tangent or not.
I submitted a particular file to my VAR who said he would send it to SW, but I've heard nothing in response. The files that seems to be affected to some extent are ones that contain the more complicated features, not simple prismatic parts or ones that are easy to fix. Usually a failure occurs in the first 25-30 features and then many below those will fail. Fixing the first one has yet to prove effective in having all of the later failures disappear.
We just "upgraded" to 2004 two weeks ago due to a few useful new features (REV block and Save as PDF). I am starting to regret it. It makes me nervous to save a file after fixing the problems because I don't know for sure that other geometry on the part wasn't inadvertently altered. Unless I see this resolved, they will be cut off from our maintenance $$$. More people need to take this approach until we see some results.
MHill
snipped-for-privacy@yahoo.com (oredock13) wrote in

You guys didnt mention what service pack of 2004. I had similar problems bringing in assy from 2003 -> 2004 sp0, sp1, sp2.0, but sp2.1 read themn fine.
snipped-for-privacy@hotmail.com (rocheey) wrote in message

I've tried it on SP2.1 & 3