Random Traffic Generator

Some years back I saw a PC program to randomly generate traffic based on user input of industry, car type and loads. Does anyone know of
suck a program? TIA

typo aside (hehehe) i do remember reading about one. If it still exists Spike Coleman will have it or a mention of it on his site: The Webville & Hypertext Railroad www.spikesys.com/webville.html . His whole site is jam packed with great info! www.spikesys.com

You probably saw a reference to Tim O'Conner's CLE.BAS program, a freight car forwarder. I have re-written it in C++ & Tcl/Tk as part of my Model Railroad System (available for download from http://www.deepsoft.com/ModelRailroadSystem /).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

Cross-platform languages for the win!
"J. Murray" wrote:

I've written my own one in QBASIC. (work in progress) The problem of making it transferable is that the program is almost totally variables. As I'm an ex-factory production planner and later international shipping planner I probably am too aware of most of those variables. :-)
The simplest program would be one that listed each industry and randomly generated a number for loads in and out per operating session and printed that out.
Greg.P.

One of the problems with the CLE.BAS program was the numerious parallel arrays, which were implementing arrays of structures.

For a really clever program, you need to associate what sort of loads an industry can take, what sort of empties it can take, and what sort of loaded cars it can reload with something else. It really makes no sense to keep delivering coal cars to your Kellogs factory or autoracks to your grain silo... You also need to keep track of how many feet of siding you have available.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Robert Heller wrote:

I assumed we knew that. :-)
You also need to keep track of how many feet of

Well no, an industry is going to need what it's going to need! It's not a perfect world and your coal fired piano works may well have the need for two loads of coal on the same day it needs to ship six consignments of pianos, even though it's siding will only hold two wagons. It still needs the timber consignment and the fabricated metal components on the same day. These things happen and the railroad does it's utmost to deliver the service so that the company doesn't feel compelled to move to trucking. Meanwhile the railway has to hold the other eight wagons at it's closest yard ready for delivery.
This brings 'empties' into importance in the program. Wagons beyond your yard capacity have to be held elsewhere. Industries not on your layout also need servicing so that line of empties in the yard you were relying on suddenly are needed elsewhere. Wagons need cleaning. Some loads are incompatible with previous loads carried so wagons may need to be cleaned or even get special treatmen. The result is that a simple program gets bigger and bigger as you introduce _important_ factors - seasonal traffic for example!
Greg.P.
*snip*

Welcome to software development! Just like model railroading, the key is not to do it all at once but to get basic functionality working and add to it later.
Puckdropper

Puckdropper wrote:

I never wanted to be a software developer, but no commercial offering I know of does what I want.
Greg.P.

Now you know how a new open source project gets started.
Paul Johnson wrote:

I never found anyone else who was interested - remember, mine is in English, not American.
Regards, Greg.P.
I could not figure out how to use it. Even after reading the manual several times I could not figure out how or where to add data. Upon opening FCFmain it looks for System.dat file which I cannot find. I speak American as a first language with Englsh as a second language so that should no be an issue :-)

The data files need to be created manually. Most of the data is 'constant' (or as constant as your model train layout) -- the only data files that the system modifies are the cars and stats files. Several of the files are constant across all layouts: cartypes.dat, hazard.dat, plate.dat, and weight.dat. I suggest that you download one of the sample data sets look them over, then create a set that matches your layout.

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933

Does the Freght Car Forwarder program that is part of the Model Railroad System (a *free* Open Source package) do what you want?

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
It appears that it might if I could figure out how to use it. I have d/l the application and manual and will give it a try. Thanks. On Sat, 27 Oct 2007 14:32:03 +0200, Robert Heller

Robert Heller wrote:

To be honest, I don't know of it. But for a start, it would have to be titled "Goods Wagon forwarder" to be acceptable. That's only half joking, given that if it's open source then I assume I could change the terminology.
Greg.P.

Of course! And if there was a demand for it, I could probably set it up with a locale database and have it check the current system locale setting and use the proper local terminology (this would even work for non English speaking countries).

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933
Robert Heller wrote:

What's that have to do with what your computer's locale is set to?

Probably nothing. If/When the FCF gets 'locale' information, it would probably NOT use the operating system locale, but the railroad layout system "locale". All real hypothetical at present...

--
Robert Heller -- 978-544-6933