Random Traffic Generator

Few years ago I tried a program called "Ship-It" which looked promising but then changed my modelling philosophy and never went any further with it. Is this the sort of thing being discussed here?

Steve Magee Newcastle NSW Aust

Reply to
Steve

ShipIt! can be discussed here.

But look at ProTrak as well.

It does a much better job of car distribution and is real time as well.

There is also a Yahoo group for ProTrak discussion.

Howard Garner

Reply to
Howard R Garner

wrote:

What's that have to do with what your computer's locale is set to?

Reply to
Paul Johnson

I believe so. 'Freight Car Forwarding' is a means to give 'purpose' to running your trains. Rather then just running random trains around your layout, Freight Car Forwarding systems create realistic 'demand' to move specific cars from one location (a yard or industry) to another (yard or industry), on specific trains. The various systems are not purely random, but cause compatible sorts of cars to be moved to/from these locations -- such as empty grain hoppers are moved to grain silos and loaded grain hoppers are moved to factories that do things with the grain (make flour, cerial products, or baked goods) and so on. The result is that the trains you run in your operating session end up being just like real freight trains, with all of the operating issues that prototype railroads have to deal with, which can make for interesting and challanging 'puzzles' you have to work out durring the operating session.

Reply to
Robert Heller

wrote:

Probably nothing. If/When the FCF gets 'locale' information, it would probably NOT use the operating system locale, but the railroad layout system "locale". All real hypothetical at present...

Reply to
Robert Heller

wrote:

If the program was to check my local and set terminology to suit said local, then it would set the wrong terminology for my model operation! Even if I were modelling the railways of my own local the terminology would be date/era related.

Regards, Greg.P.

Reply to
Greg Procter