Coming back after 20 years.

I've been out of the R/C hobby for about 20 years.

I never was able to solo very well, but I could fly the r/c simulators with no problems at all. A buddy (pilot for Delta) at my church bought him a little electric "park flyer" to learn on. After watching others at our local park, I decided that is what I'll do, too.

About 2 years ago, I threw out my old Tower Hobbies 6 channel (circa 1981) transmitter and receiver. The frequency (channel 56, I believe) is probably illegal now, anyways. (My dad has the a duplicate system)

Since I still have all my old servo's, airplanes, engines (2 k$b .61's and an Irvine .40), I'll get back into the gas planes at a later date. I'm thinking a nice 6 channel transmitter kit would start me off nicely, but there are a few things that appear to be new.

What is the difference between a 'type 2' and 'type 4' radio? I'm leaning towards an Airtronics system, but would like some recommendations.

I'd also like some suggestions on a good electric park flyer kit. Prerrably one that comes w/ a motor.

Thanks.

Reply to
Tim V.

Since you haven't soloed, you will probably be best off finding a local club and an instructor. What kind of radio you choose might best be determined by your instructor. If you get one compatible with his gear, you will be able to "buddy box" with him. That gives him the ability to take control of your plane without delay in case you get into trouble.

Almost everyone in the USA flies a mode 2 transmitter. That puts the elevator and ailerons on the right stick and the throttle and rudder on the left. If you expect others to help, you will probably want to do the same thing.

Welcome back.

Jim - AMA 501383

Tim V. wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

Tim, since you were saving your old servos, make sure they will work with your new radio system. You mentioned getting a new Airtronics radio. Until fairly recently, Airtronics servos had a different wiring and plug setup than anybody else's. However, now their new receivers and servos have the universal "Z" connector that your old servos should plug into unless they're the old style "G" male connectors. I will echo Jim's sentiments about getting the same brand radio the club's instructor has if you're going to buddy box. I have a Futaba system, and it seems as all the newbies come in with JR radios (LHS would rather sell 'em JRs), so it's back to the "grab the transmitter" type of instruction.

A lot of folks in the NG like the GWS Slow Stick, Tiger Moth or the Hobby Lobby Wingo as a park flyer.

-- Morris Lee snipped-for-privacy@veriz> > I've been out of the R/C hobby for about 20 years.

Reply to
Morris Lee