Need Futaba Crystals for Boat (75 Mhz)

I got an R/C model sailboat for Christmas and my old Futaba radio system has aircraft (72 MHz) crystals in it. I need a transmitter and receiver crystal set on any 75 MHz channel for boat use. Anyone have a set they want to sell? If so, please drop me an email at snipped-for-privacy@elinkusa.com. This is an older FM radio that was once narrowbanded. The existing crystal in the receiver says "type 72-10" & 72.590 on it. Thanks, Bob.

Reply to
Bob

I'm afraid that you can't just change crystals without modifying the transmitter. Futaba will perform such band changes for a fee. Or, if you have a transmitter with an RF module, you can just swap modules. In most cases, it's cheaper to just buy a new transmitter for your sailboat.

Jim - AMA 501383

Bob wrote:

Reply to
James D Jones

A friend who is a licensed tech. said swapping crystals was all that was needed, so I presumed these are broadband tuned devices . Perhaps he thought I was going to change and stay within the same 72 band. I'll have to look into that and perhaps I can retune the transmitter and receiver if that's all it needs. I've got the license and equipment to do it but would have to get a service manual. Thanks for your input Jim. -Bob.

Reply to
Bob

| A friend who is a licensed tech. said swapping crystals was all that was | needed, so I presumed these are broadband tuned devices.

It would probably work, but the range would be greatly reduced, since the filters were set for 72mhz. This really isn't a good idea.

| Perhaps he | thought I was going to change and stay within the same 72 band. I'll have | to look into that and perhaps I can retune the transmitter and receiver if | that's all it needs. I've got the license and equipment to do it but would | have to get a service manual.

I don't think the service manuals are available.

Futaba will retune some radios for you --

and their prices aren't too bad, as long as you're not doing a R127DF or an R138DP (which are some of their most common receivers, unfortunately.) If you've got one of those, you should just buy a new receiver. (Doesn't have to be Futaba -- Hitec and others sell some cheaper ones that will work well. Don't get JR or Airtronics though.)

So, if you don't want to pay Futaba, you could retune it yourself, but you'll have to figure it out on your own :) I'm guessing that if you have one of those two receivers mentioned, that you probably won't want to attempt to retune it at all (by them or yourself) -- just replace. You could sell it and recoup much of your cost ...

... | > > I got an R/C model sailboat for Christmas and my old Futaba radio | > > system has aircraft (72 MHz) crystals in it. I need a transmitter | > > and receiver crystal set on any 75 MHz channel for boat use. Anyone | > > have a set they want to sell? If so, please drop me an email at | > > snipped-for-privacy@elinkusa.com. This is an older FM radio that was once | > > narrowbanded. The existing crystal in the receiver says "type 72-10" | > > & 72.590 on it. Thanks, Bob.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Thanks for the info. and thoughts. I checked it and my receiver is a FP-R-127DF dual conversion. Perhaps I'll check with my techie friend and he might have some schematic or info. on this equipment. He's been into R/C for 30 or 40 years and had a part-time service business for R/C radios several years back. Maybe it would be better to sell this on ebay and get a

2 or 3 channel for the boat. Thanks, Bob.

Reply to
Bob

I would say definitely. Save yourself the hassle, and get exactly standard kit.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher