I have a question about a gas engine

I am building a Senior Telamaster (96" wing) for a tow plane. I have a converted gas engine that's about 35cc. The guys at the field say I'm nuts it will rip the plane apart. Anyone have an opinions. I will of course add carbon fiber and glass in all the high stress areas as well as lots of extra gussets.

Reply to
Doug Harnish

Father Marty, you are always the optimist!

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

You are probably right, Jim. Getting the balance right without adding tail weight will be the challenge.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Shouldn't be a problem.

Put the elevator and rudder servos in the back and you should have a solution. Also move the throttle servo behind the wing and make sure you use Nyrod for your throttle. DO NOT USE WIRE from the engine to the radio equipment! Make sure ALL your radio equipment is 12 inches from the static source on the nose. That INCLUDES the RX battery!.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

Well, now the fear is building

What is the biggest 4 stoke anyone sould dare to put on this thing.

I just hate the idea of spending $400 bux on a big engine when I have this thing laying around doing nothing.

Reply to
Doug Harnish

It would probably need another 5 pounds in the rear to balance! BUT IT WOULD BE FUN!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Nah, not FIVE pounds at all. Just put the entire radio installation at the tail (especially including the LARGE (2AH) battery pack and go for it!

I know it is not the same, but I had a Nosen Citabria that was led around by a Quadra 50. No real problems with CG but just enough (in my opinion) power to fly the way I wanted to most of the time!

Doug Harnish, don't back off just because some say it is a bad idea. Instead go visit some folks who fly large power to weight birds and get an idea of what they are doing. I think what you are planning is a good idea for a "FUN" plane.

Jim Branaum AMA 1428

Six_O'clock_High Target snipped-for-privacy@Guns.com

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

That Settles

I'm going for it

when I'm done and it fly's I'll post photos

Reply to
Doug Harnish