Mounting a DX-7 AR7000 question...

I have a Hangar 9 Mustang PTS... Can I put the AR7000 inside the fuse to replace the JR receiver? Antennae will all be concealed deep in the center of the body. Do I have to expose the antennas a bit more by putting them in the canopy area, or can you tuck these things anywhere...

Thanks! Gary

Reply to
G-Dawg

No problem....the antennas do not need to be outside the fuse...

-- pda4yo

----------------------------------------------------------------------- pda4you's Profile:

this thread:

pda4you

Cool, thanks. Yes , I was looking at the manual to bind the receiver and saw the picture of exactly what I have going on.

Thanks!

Reply to
G-Dawg

| No problem....the antennas do not need to be outside the fuse....

... unless the fuse is made of metal or carbon fiber or something else that's conductive and therefore blocks the signal.

Probably not a problem with the model mentioned, but it's a big concern for the high end glider guys -- many of those planes are chock full of carbon fiber.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Hi, I bought one of the DX-7 and like it very much. I use both the park flyer receivers and the dual system. I have 3 planes setup so far. I have a park flyer receiver in a funjet and I did have a "flame-out" during one flite. Not sure if the receiver went into the failsafe mode due to lack of signal, but it throttled back when on a long downwind to base turn. It came back up to power again. The whisker antennas are on the outside of the body in a grooves where the old 72 mhz was. I wouldnt put the antennas near metal or conductive material. This operates near some microwave oven freqs and almost anything absorbs the energy. I noticed that the remote speakers on my theater sound system gets noisey (2.4gigs) when I turn the DX-7 on. I too wonder about the range for gliders. I think that there is a maxium ceiling limit AGL on r/c and I believe these receivers will work within that range. I have a park flyer receiver in a Hobby Lobby supercub and boy it sure keeps the weight down. I am now installing the dual receiver in a Fliton mini edge 540. Nice not to have to pin the freq board or wonder if I will get stepped on. (so far)

Jimbo

Reply to
jbreeyea

| The whisker antennas are on the outside of the body in a grooves | where the old 72 mhz was. I wouldnt put the antennas near metal or | conductive material. This operates near some microwave oven freqs | and almost anything absorbs the energy.

2.4 GHz signals will go through most of the non-metal and non-carbon fiber components of a plane without much trouble. But things like carbon fiber, metal, engines, batteries, etc. can cause problems if they block a signifigant portion of the signal.

| I noticed that the remote speakers on my theater sound system gets | noisey (2.4gigs) when I turn the DX-7 on.

Yes, your DX-7 interferes with them. Your microwave oven probably would too, if it were closer. WiFi as well.

| I too wonder about the range for gliders. I think that there is a | maxium ceiling limit AGL on r/c

There is an FAA advisory circular 91-57 that says --

c. Do not fly model aircraft higher than 400 feet above the surface.

We ignore this on a very regular basis. The AMA rules don't even include this rule, or if they do, they misinterpet it to mean only near an airport, though the FAA adivsory clearly doesn't say that. (On the other hand, this advisory is not compulsory.)

Glider guys regularly fly their planes to altitudes over one half mile up. When you comine that with a similar horizontal distance, having a plane that's almost a mile away is not unheard of. It just requires good eyes to fly a little speck. (And a huge plane helps, but it's not essential.)

R/C gear has traditionally had a range of 1.5 miles or so, and I suspect that the DX7 is similar.

However, having a carbon fiber fuse and your antennas completely inside, or laying on top of the carbon fiber can reduce your range, so people do get nervous.

| Nice not to have to pin the freq board or wonder if I will get stepped | on. (so far)

Heh. The local glow club decided that people with SS gear needed pins too, so they made a handful of SS pins. :)

Reply to
Doug McLaren

Sounds like a good idea, keeps you from wondering if they are on your channel and forgot to get a pin! Never ASS-U-ME mk

Reply to
MJKolodziej

The guys in the valley do the same thing. Solves a lot of raise the blood pressure problems.

Reply to
Six_O'Clock_High

On Tue, 22 May 2007 04:59:03 GMT, "Six_O'Clock_High"

Reply to
Gavin