Gyros?

Hi,

I have not been on for some time. What I ask is related to model airplanes but not exactly.

I would like to know if the outrunner motors could be adapted to act as a stabilizer for digital photography. That is, if the spinning outer casing of the motor would behave like the gyros used in old time ships and stabilize a camera weighing about 2 - 3 pounds.

Thanks, Wan

Reply to
wanjung

Most current high-end pan-tilt platforms use gyros to sense the platform rate, then steer the platform with special ultra-low friction, direct-drive motors. The _really_ high end platforms use (or did until recently) honking big inertia wheels just like you're proposing -- only we're talking 90lb wheels in a helicopter application, which is always weight sensitive.

Using one of those motors by itself for a gyro would be inefficient, because you wouldn't be spinning much weight. Putting a honking big inertia wheel on it to be turned by the motor would be better, but you'd be stressing the motor's bearings beyond what they're designed for. Embedding the guts of the motor into a honking big inertia wheel with adequate bearings may be a very cool way to go.

Reply to
Tim Wescott

Thanks, Tim. In the distant past, Leica cameras indeed have a precision gyro for cameras, but it costs over $5,000. The camera itself costs about $200. This makes the cost of a gyro about 25 times that of the camera it stabilizes. It was very effective but hardly anyone could afford one except for well funded professionals.

A friend suggested that attaching a precision inertia ring around the outrunner motor as you described, I had not thought about the stress on the bearings,

I'm looking to make a stabilzer for cameras for around 5 to 6 hundred dollars. I know this is not a discussion on airplanes, but it is about using one of our motors That already have.

Any other suggestions?

Wan

Reply to
wanjung

You could use electronic gyros and servos between the camera and some sort of handle you hold. I read that some of the electronic gyros were used for image stabilizers on camcorders. Another cheaper possibility is to use stabilizers like they use on target bows (and hunting bows).

Reply to
Roger_N

If that's your target price I think you should be able to use the guts of an outrunner motor stuck into your inertia ring, with beefier bearings mounted appropriately.

Reply to
Tim Wescott