questions about aircraft/cameras

I'm looking into an application for remote controlled (or more preferrably, progammable flight path) aircraft. It needs to be able to carry a camera capable of transmitting video (can be b&W or color) of ground level objects over long distances (3-5 miles, although I may be able to work with shorter distance transmission). I am looking for anything from a handheld size up to something that can be transported in the back of a jeep. I would like to know what type of aircraft would be capable of this type of work and what cameras are available and apropriate. Any suggestions or useful information would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you, JB

Reply to
sttjbw

| I'm looking into an application for remote controlled (or more | preferrably, progammable flight path) aircraft. It needs to be able | to carry a camera capable of transmitting video (can be b&W or color) | of ground level objects over long distances (3-5 miles, although I may | be able to work with shorter distance transmission). I am looking for | anything from a handheld size up to something that can be transported | in the back of a jeep. | I would like to know what type of aircraft would be capable of this | type of work and what cameras are available and apropriate. | Any suggestions or useful information would be greatly appreciated.

The R/C crowd usually goes for planes that are controlled in real time, using visual observation of the plane.

What you're talking about is more in the realm of the UAV crowd. You might want to find some UAV forums and ask there.

Also be aware that the FAA (I'll assume you're in the US) generally leaves recreational model airplanes alone, but once the plane is flying out of your sight, they call it a UAV and all sorts of regulations go into effect.

As for having a camera on a R/C plane, people do that all the time, and the cameras and transmitters are small enough that they can be easily put on almost any plane that's more than a pound or two. Generally they don't have the sort of range you're looking for, but some do. But what we usually don't do is go for autonomous flight.

If all you need to do is take aerial pictures of something, you can do that pretty easily with something like a Slow Stick and a cheap digital camera (or camera/transmitter, but a still digital camera tends to take better pictures) on it -- just a few hundred dollars. But you'll be flying the plane the entire time. But to have it fly on it's own? You're looking at thousands of dollars and lots of paperwork with the FAA.

Reply to
Doug McLaren

On Wed, 28 Nov 2007 07:18:51 -0800 (PST), snipped-for-privacy@gmail.com wrote in :

It's all doable and has been done.

Many college robotics competitions have produced GPS-guided systems that could do what you want.

Maynard Hill's team sent an 11-pound autonomous system across the Atlantic a few years back.

I believe there is a Japanese helicopter designed for spraying fields under GPS guidance.

As Doug noted in his post, you need to consider lots and lots of regulations. The kind of setup you describe would work for terrorist activity as well as sensible commercial operations. :o(

Marty

Reply to
Martin X. Moleski, SJ

Here is one for you....