A question about covering....Caution: N00b!!!

Hi,

As fellow R/C Aviation enthusiasts, I'm hoping that you will be able to help with my following quandary.

I bought an ARTF Seagull 'Boomerang' trainer some time ago, and enjoyed a number of successful training flights with my instructor. However, following a rather large crash (whilst at the hands of a qualified BMFA instructor!), it has until recently been stored in the attic.

Having recently been spurred on again to take it out and 'stretch its wings', I was looking to repair the damage that it has suffered and get it airborne once again, but first require some assistance, and wondered if the good people here would be willing to help me out.

The plane suffered minor damage to the undercarriage securing lugs and this was easily repaired. The majority of the damage was to the wing covering, where two or three large (3"-4" square) holes can be seen. Other than this, I can see no structural damage to the aircraft, its wings or its wing spars.

My main question is, rather than attempting to patch the holes up with SolarTrim (is the right stuff to use??) I was thinking to re-cover the entire aircraft with a new covering and change its colour scheme - this is where you guys come in!

In order to re-cover the aircraft, would I first be required to strip it of the pre-applied covering and then recover it in the new design, OR could I simply clean down the aircraft with methylated spirits to remove grime and fuel grease and recover it using a sticky-back covering such as SolarTrim?

Many thanks in anticipation of your reply.

Regards,

Simon

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

yes.

No.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

errr.... thanks, i think...

any reas> EGNX Flyer wrote:

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

I'm going to have to disagree with TNP and say you can clean the covering and patch the plane. As a matter of fact you might consider cleaning it with a glass cleaner with some alcohol in it. That cuts the grease pretty well. Depending on how big the holes are you might use carton sealing tape(2" wide transparent tape) to repair and put your efforts into your next plane, a stick type maybe. Your trainer is a tool. start using it. mk

Reply to
MK

MK, thanks very much for teh informative reply.

Are you suggesting that I rub it down with glass cleaner with added alcohol, then just patch it up with the packing tape/SolarTrim... or rub it down all over, then use the existing covering as a base and just re-cover it in a new scheme with Solarfilm or similar?

Reply to
EGNX Flyer

Don't even think about applying new covering over the old covering over the entire model. Model airplanes are critical when it comes to weight. The second complete covering coat would turn your model into a miserable flying example of an airplane.

I go along with one of the other fellows that said to clean your entire model with window cleaner with alcohol (isopropyl is fine) and make it squeaky clean. Then get some tape, or sticky back trim covering as you suggested, and only patch those areas that are needed to make the model fly well and keep the fuel off of the airframe and radio equipment.

The mission at this point is to get you flying competently in as little time and expense as possible. The pretty models can wait until later. Good luck.

Ed Cregger

Reply to
Ed Cregger

Ed, this is exactly the clarifcation that i've been looking for - THANK YOU.

And thanks also to MK for the advice about teh Alcohol and window cleaner - i'll get straight onto this tonight!

hopefull i'll be up and flying before the weekend is out!

EGNX Flyer

Reply to
EGNX Flyer