Convert gas engine to electric plane

I have plans for gas warbird planes (49-3/4" span, 444 sq. in., .40-.61, 4 ch.) and would like to build them as electric. I have never done that and was wondering if there is some kind of rule of thumb for that. I am not sure if electric engines produce the same power as gas, therfore the models may have to change (weight etc.). Now I am not affraid of some trial and error but if anyone can give me a few pointers to start out with that would be great. Thanks Ro

Reply to
aitm001

I doubt that a 50" span warbird designed to handle a .61 engine would be light enough for regular electrics. To get that kind of power takes a lot of money!

Reply to
Paul McIntosh

Reply to
Troy Stark

Since it's plans, you have the option of building it lighter. Use the lightest wood possible, put in a lot of lightening holes, use the lightest covering. Usually the designers of gas planes don't really care of weight because a gas engine has way more than enough power. With electrics you really need to think about weight, airfoil efficiency and reduce drag. Also if you have a grass field, you will need some extra power to get off of the ground. I converted my 40 size trainer to electric just to prove that it could be done and it cost me about $250 for the brushless motor, gearbox, and speed control. Another $80 worth of batteries. It flew about the same as when it had the $70 engine in it.

You could save yourself some headaches by purchasing plans or a kit specifically made for electic motors. But if your like me and like headaches, give it a shot.

P.S. While it's not completely accurrate give

a try, it will give you an idea of what size motor you will need for your plane. You could also give megamotorsusa.com a call and he could probably recommend a good motor gearbox combination for your plane.

Reply to
Normen Strobel

Same as others have said. If you are interested in going to electrics, start out with a modern kit or ARF designed for electric power. Many kits such as Mountain Models designs are laser cut and easy to assemble and get flying , especially with Doug Binder's help. There are small GWS brand foam ARF "parkflyers" like the P51, etc. that are fairly easy to get flying. The only rub is that you will need to buy micro R/C receiver, servos, speed control and battery pack(s) plus a charger. ( GWS flight packs are about $100). ( Aeromicro.com) If you like to build stick models, See Pat's Custom Models or Dare Models websites. He has a wide variety of high wing, WW1 and other models with plenty of wing area designed for geared Speed 400 can motors. Register on E-Zone and spend some time reading posts in various columns and ask questions before you leap into electrics. Use the search engine and archives.

We have some expert electric flyers at Fairview Park in Costa Mesa CA, flying large (.60 -120 size ) WWII fighters, Cubs, etc . They generally have $500 or more invested in big brushless motors, speed controls and battery packs and worked their way up to this over many years of trial and error.

Gary Gullikson

Reply to
Gary Gullikson

Umm. If you can build in some lighness, and are prepared to spend reasonable money on it, it can be done and done well.

I'd start off having a look om the ezone

and asking there, but my guess is that of the weight was kept down an AXI 2820/10 on 10 cells would fly that pretty well, or you could use a geared up version of one of teh biger megas or aveoxes - have a look at
for some nice 'big plane' combos.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher