looking for small electric info

I built a Pipsqueak from RCM plans and put a Cox Peewee .020 on it. This plane has about a two foot wingspan. With a micro receiver, two Hitec 55 servos and a 400 mah nimh receiver battery, it weighs 6 ounces. The Peewee .020 provides just the right amount of power, but the problem is that it runs for only about two minutes.

I have been thinking that it would be nice to be able to get longer flights with this little plane. I have never liked electrics before because the battery load has always been ridiculous, and the motors weren't good enough to carry everything. But now everywhere I look I see tiny electrics that not only fly, but they fly well.

I talked briefly to a fellow at the flying field today who was flying a very impressive plane in the 18 to 24 inch range. He was telling me about a brushless motor that would fly nicely on the 4 cell pack that is already in my plane. He said that it could be expected to go for about

10 to 15 minutes as long as it wasn't full bore all the time. He also said that it wouldn't cost an arm and a leg, but unfortunately I can't remember what it was called.

Does anybody here have any suggestions for me? Keep in mind that I do not favor planes that fly like the F-16. I'm into lightweight planes with generous wing area that don't have to go like a rocket all the time, which I'm sure will have some relevance to what motor I select. Also bear in mind that I am not ready to cough up tons of money, but I wouldn't mind paying a little bit more for a particular piece of equipment if it is significantly better than something else.

I would also appreciate suggestions for an electric replacement for the Cox 049, as used on planes such as the Q-Tee and other generally light weight, moderate speed aircraft.

Thank you.

Reply to
Robbie and Laura Reynolds

n general for soprt type flying a pee wee is about speed 300 equivalent, and an own is 400-480 equivalent. You might get similar performace out of speed 280 on direct drive.

If you are starting from scratch, advise use of LIPO batteroes with cheap motors to get duration.

(or drill hole in side of peewee tank and take fel line from internal valve to external tank)

Youy will almost ceruainly NOT be able to fly on 4 cells. A receiver battery is just not suitable.

I wold siggest to have a bit of a larf, ty

Speed 280 on Gunther push on prop

2 Kokam 1500 LIPO in series. any 5A ESC.

This should weigh in at similar levels to what you have now, and give up to 20 minutes of flight. Should not cost more than $75, but you will need a lithium charger.

Better place to ask is e-zone -

The Natural Philosopher

Robbie and Laura Reynolds wrote in news:4003AE80.4C7B4392 @kcnet.com:

I have a 23" Clancy Lady Bug that weighed in at 6.9 oz. with Doculam covering (included in the kit), GWS pico servos, Berg Stamp receiver, GWS IPS motor/gearbox, and Qualcom surplus 2x830 lithium ion mah bateries (1.9 oz.). Flew well, would ROG in about 8'. Swapped out the IPS for a dual IPS (all else the same), bumping to 7.2 oz. and flew great, looped from level, short ROGs, etc. Got about 20 minutes with lots of full throttle. Then I changed the dual IPS to a Hacker B20-36S with the 4:1 gearbox, and replaced the GWS 2A ESC with a Castle Phoenix 10. Using the same batteries, now weighing 7.6 oz, I get MUCH improved performance (better than 45 deg climbs) and can keep her in the air 55 minutes! The plane is a blast to fly.

Or, if I swap the Q830 pack for some KAN 8x650 NiMH cells and up the prop a tad, it will go vertical and still fly over 15 minutes.

Weight could be saved with smaller servos, lighter covering, smaller lithium polymer batteries, and leaving off my added tail wheel mod (perhaps 1.5-2 oz). You can see a picture of mine at the bottom of the first page if this ezone thread:

The Lady Bug is a pretty easy build (mostly 1/8" balsa sticks with laser cut nose and tail and wing rib and tip pieces). It is also available as an ARF, called the Clancy Baby Bee, and comes with a small motor/gearbox that is better than the IPS, but not as strong as the dual. The ARF is built surprisingly well, nicely covered, and only slightly heavier.

-- Alan

Reply to
Alan Newman