Cox Pee Wee .020

Found my old Cox Pee Wee 020 engine the other day. It as been over 15 years since in was run. The engine turns over, but is full of sludge.

Anyway, going to bring it back to life and am looking for the following part numbers; Spring starter Glow plug Back plate for tank ( 1 of the mounting screw holes is broken off)

I also have two questions regarding this engine,

  1. What voltage is required to charge glow plug?
  2. What is the best fuel mixture to use and any specific brand to look out for?

Mike mlawrenc(at)rcc.on.ca

Reply to
Michael

You really don't need the spring starter. I started mine just flipping it for years. Voltage for the glow head is the standard 1.5 Volts. If you can find Cox fuel, that would be the way to go. However, if not, Norvel makes a good fuel as well. Just remember that you will need at least 20% nitro for the engine to run reliably. These tiny powerplants require higher nitro to stay lit as they cool much faster than larger engines due to a smaller combustion mixture with the heat spread over a relatively larger area.

For parts, Estes bought out Cox years ago. Try

and chase the links for Cox. Their website left alot to be desired the last time I checked it but that has been awhile.

BTW, make sure the reed isn't creased if it is the older brass type.

Hope you get it running again as they are fun little engines. Just beware the prop!!

Jim W

Reply to
Black Cloud

1.5v originally, but a 2v lead acid or 1.2v nicad work oK.

IIRC it needsd a fair bit of nitro in there. 15%?

Otherwise methanol and your favorite 2-stroke oil is good.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

A 2V lead acid is a good way to burn out the plug right now on an .020 unless you toss in a long length of light gauge wire to limit current. Been there, done that, got the T-shirt. The NiCad is fine of course.

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

Oh well. We used one. It did glow sorta bright, and started awfully easy :-)

We used to only connect for the second or two the wet slobbery engine neded a flick.

Reply to
The Natural Philosopher

Reply to
David AMA40795 / KC5UH

I had a similar battery eons ago too - the reason I remember burning out the .020 plug was that I was real young and excitable, and I had a small airboat with the PeeWee that we took to our cottage. I was all hyped up to run it but I didn't heed my brother's warnings about using the lead-acid battery without a length of resistance wire. So I dived out of the car, fueled up, hooked it up, and poof. It burned out before I got the motor started. As there were no hobby shops for miles and miles of where we were I was all PO'ed that I had done that. Kids.. this would be circa 1968-1969. Now I'm older and stupider.

Without starting troubles you just might get it going more than once with the battery hooked up directly but I wouldn't chance it.

My brother used to build "freeflight" airboats back then as well, and the wildest one was a big glassed-foam thing with an ST .56 on it. Nothing like a 12" nylon prop tearing around with a mind of its own trying to get you! Small tank though for short runs. Good fun..

Mike D.

Reply to
Mike Dennett

I'd like to start one a little quicker... :)

Reply to
David Hopper

Use Cox high nitro glow fuel or other high nitro fuel (20-35%) recommended for 1/2A engines. Glow plug requires 1.5 volts, 1.2 volt nicad is not high enough voltage, glow plug must glow bright orange. The reed valve must be free of sludge, don't bend it. New glow plugs are available for about $8. Back plate may be hard to find. Pee Wee .020's are available for peanuts on E-bay.

Reply to
garyg