i need help!

Im trying to find a Hi-Flier Model Rocket Kit at a low price, with low shipping cost. Any help would be much apprectiated!

--Evi

Reply to
Evi

Scratch build it. So many things begin to look like rocket parts if you squint at them the right way... .

The only "kits" I buy is to give to friends to entice them to the hobby, or bulk packs for Scout Merit Badges.

Everything I build lately is from spent Christmas wrapping paper rolls, "En-Motion" paper-towel dispenser rolls, 3 color printer plate stock rolls, various woods and parts and thick card stocks that I come across. Nose cones are a little more problematic, as these tubes are often "non-standard" diameter, so you have to "roll your own" nose cones. If you don't like rolling nose cones, then mount the nearest fit size, transitioning to a section of the intended tube size with a coupler as the separation point... this works well.

I don't have anything against kits... I am just not rich, so I make do with what I can find. My largest rocket (currently under construction) is a 5 inch diameter 101.5 inch tall model made of joined oatmeal cans and will cost less than $50 USD to construct (not counting motor or altimeters or other optional payloads). A mid range I motor it should top over 2000 feet in perfect conditions... we'll see.

Each section is fiber glassed together, and when all are joined, I will layer the entire tube externally with course and fine glass and then hose sock. Parachute(s) are made out of scraps of rip-stop nylon and yards and yards of 1 inch tubular nylon (found on discount close-out racks of a local fabric store). I plan to have a 12 inch drogue drag out the laundry; a triumvirate of red, white, and blue 45 inch classic round chutes (chute diameters may change depending on final rocket weight).

It is not really an extra-ordinary project excepting of course the oatmeal can construction... but therein lies the beauty, they come with built-in bulkheads... . I will foam fill the fin-can area for motor stress translation. I have several other rockets I have scratch-built, but only a few up on my site.

We have a person or two in our club who specialize in building rocket-like objects out of cereal boxes and other various implements. It is pretty amazing what they have come up with.

Cheers!

Reply to
Duane Phillips