Random questions

Finally got the plasma cutter that I've been wanting. The local welding supply had a great deal on CutMasters and I got a Cut Master 50 with a 1 Torch and a air drier. Is there a trick to to using the torch? One mild steel I can get great results on just about any thickness within the rated capacity.. However, I had a 10 x

20 flat panel metal shed to take down and it didnt seem to cut worth a hoot (mostly rust with some paint). Towards the end, I ran the tip as fast as I could across 5 feet of wall and it was like Star Wars, There was a very fine clean cut. It was difficult to repeat this trick. PSI was set at 75 and amps at 35. Advice appreciated.

Also, I saw an ad in one of the fab magazines about a book titled: "Forty Years Secrets of Welding for teh Hobbiest or Professional" by Earl Durfee. Is it worthwhile?? regards, Jim

Reply to
Jim Kreter

Travel speed and current are interrelated. 35 amps is too high for sheetmetal (it is about right for cutting 3/8 inch steel). As you found out, the only way to get a clean cut on sheetmetal with the current that high is to move way too fast for comfort. Turn the amps down to about 10 amps and you should be able to use a travel speed that's more controllable.

Your air pressure is higher than I run on sheetmetal too. Turn it down to about 50 PSI.

Gary

Reply to
Gary Coffman