Thermal Dynamics Vs Hypertherm Plasma Cutters

I am deciding which plasma cutter to purchase. I have narrowed my
choice down to a Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 81 & a Hypertherm Powermax
1000. I would like any opinions pro & con, Thanks for any info you
could provide.
Reply to
Rangerod
In the high end machines like this, the Hypertherm has the real edge. Their torch design is way ahead of Thermals and the tips last almost twice as long.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Ernie Have you used the new 81 series torches since they no longer use the high freq start?
Reply to
Sven
Ernie & Sven
That is the problem I been that has me going back & forth from one to the other. I have been hearing the Cutmaster 81 has the new quick disconnect 1S torch. I've been hearing good things about both units so I'm struggling with the decision especially with the $$$ involved. What I do like about the Cutmaster 81 is the quick disconnect because the unit will be doing double duty as a CNC & manual cutter. Thanks for the help.
Rod
Reply to
Rangerod
I have been using my Thermal Dynamics on a CNC table for about 10 months now. I have had no problems with the plasma cutter. I would highly recommend a Thermal Dynamics machine. As you mentioned the torch is easily disconnected from the machine although my CNC table (a PlasmaCam) uses the hand torch so swapping torches is not an issue for me. What brand of table do you have? Send me an email and I will give you an address for a Thermal Dynamics rep that is a super guy and will answer any question you have on their machines. That is another plus.... great support speter@wctadotnet
Reply to
Sven
You also might research prices and also availability on the consumables. I came down to the Miller, Thermal Dynamics and the Hypertherm. Miller uses Hypertherm torches. :) I got the Hypertherm. The Powermax 1000 uses a T60 torch and you can check prices for consumables at
(Electrode #120926 5 for 31.50) Might not be the cheapest but you can get an idea of the prices. :) Hypertherm now has a fine cut kit available. I can give you some other links for more prices if you need at Metalcut101 (AT) yahoo.com I hope we were able to help you. Jim
Reply to
Jim
We have one at school that works very well.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
I should have guessed that you had one at the school. Do you have a mix of all the manufacturers or is predominantly one brand?
Reply to
Steve Peterson
I should clarify that the new torch was retrofitted to a very old Pac10 plasma cutter to bring it back to life. You do have to make sure you have the right tip installed for your target amperage.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
Rangerod
From comparing notes with a couple of Hypertherm owners I find the tip and electrode life to be comparable with my Thermal Dynamics. I don't know if this is the case with older machines or not.
Reply to
Steve Peterson
We have a little bit of everything from the last 50 years of welding fabrication.
In plasma cutters we have.
Thermal Dynamics Pac 10 (100 amp) LTEC PCM 150 (150 amp) Hypertherm Powermax 600 (55 amp) Hypertherm Powermax 350 (35 amp)
We used to have an awful century plasma cutter, but eventually repair costs outstripped usefulness. It was given to us by the autobody shop when they got a new Thermal Dynamics Pak 55.
The Pac 10 sat unused for 2 years until my boss put the new torch on it.
The PCM 150 sat unused for 6 years because nobody knew that it could be used with nitrogen and compressed air. They thought it required the weird Argon/Hydrogen gas mix for cutting. The PCM 150 is truly impressive to play with, but the torch design is terrible and there is no aftermarket retrofit torch for 150 amp plasma cutters that is affordable.
Reply to
Ernie Leimkuhler
It looks as if your school runs like my shop.....I have learned to be happy with hand me down and used machinery.
Reply to
Steve Peterson
Sven
I do not have the table as of yet, I am just beggining the process of aquiring a complete unit by purchasing the plasma cutter first. What type of table do you own? I have looked at PlasmaCam, Torchmate & Pratical CNC units. We just purchased a FastCut unit a work but I have to say I am not yet impresed with this unit yet, especially for $17,000 & no Z capability. What type of work are you doing with your unit?
Thank you all for your generous advise, now its geting harder to make a decision, The way it sounds these two units match up head to head pretty well. If anyone else has more info I would appreciate your input.
Reply to
Rangerod
There are a couple of groups on Yahoo that discuss CNC plasma cutters Piginfo and some other one. Check them out if you really want to be confused on your choice of tables!
Reply to
Steve Peterson
Rangerod,The new Thermals are the torches to get at this point.The front ends parts last as long as Hypertherms,and really have a small kerf.I am putting a machine torch on my 90 amp esab.Great deal too $350.00 with the adapter for the 1500 esab.I found out the esab Machine torch is of the older style,and not like their new long lasting pt 32 style.I been cutting on 90 amps,and it really is ten times better then the torch that was on my 70 amp 1125(way more clunky,and stiff though).The patents have run out on the Hyperthem torches so Thermal took what they wanted,and moved beyond Hypertherm.With lots of Hypertherms ideas I might add.
Reply to
scott