more Plasma Cutter Questions

I am ready to purchase a plasma cutter, I have a paying copper project coming up where it will be needed. Either a Hypertherm 600 or a TD Cutmaster

51 are my choices. The 600 says that it cuts a little thicker material, and will go with that one if there isn't something else to sway me towards the Cutmaster 51.

In doing my research on GoogleGroups, I've read where Ernie and others have commented that the cut kerf is thinner with the TD machine, but nobody has actually given any measurements. I'm curious, what is the kerf dimensions we're talking about here. The brochures for the machines don't say anything about cut kerf. Since I will be using this mainly for copper art type stuff this might be important for me. I'd welcome any and all comments.

Thanks Lane

Reply to
Lane

I guess nobody has any answers? (that's a surprise)

Reply to
Lane

I can't speak for the TD unit, but the Hypertherm 600 has a fine-cut kit option that you can buy. It will make for a smaller kerf.

Jim

Reply to
Jim Meyer

Yes, Jim you are correct, I just found that out this morning a few hours before I read your post. That makes the decision a little easier.

Thanks again. Lane

Reply to
Lane

My experience with Hypertherm plasma cutters with standard consumables is about .060" kerf on steel up to about 1/4", maybe a bit larger as the thickness increases. I don't recall specifically, but it doesn't seem to me that it was much different on materials like copper, stainless steel and aluminum. I don't think I ever measured with the TD plasma cutters. I wasn't going for extreme accuracy. If it is smaller, it isn't a whole lot smaller.

IMHO kerf size is irrelevant if you are not trying to get tiny, little cuts for detail. And if you are, maybe you ought to consider laser.

Also be aware that the kerf will not be square. If everything is set up correctly. One side of a cut will be square and the other size with have a

4 degree or so bevel. Its just the nature of the beast.
Reply to
Footy

Thanks Footy for the info. I really appreciate it. I went ahead and ordered the HT Powermax 600 and the new FineCut Kit, along with a Motor Guard air filter. I found a local welding shop that gave me a price very comparable with an internet price when you include the shipping. I couldn't complain at all. He told me that there isn't much profit on the machines to be competitive, that they just want you back to buy the consumables.

Oh, BTW, no way can I afford a laser system!

Lane

Reply to
Lane

Lane,

What was the price if you don't mind my asking. There is one coming up for auction next week and this would be a good comparison.

Merle snip.....

Reply to
Merle Wagner

$1559

Reply to
Lane

Hypertherm produces a fine cut kit for the 600 unit but not the 1000 IIRC.

Martin

Reply to
Martin H. Eastburn

Well, the auction was this past weekend and the 600 went for $1,050 + 10%.

And I didn't buy it.......

Merle

Reply to
Merle Wagner