Hypertherm vs Thermal Dynamics

To all the plasma cutter folks, I have narrowed my plasma cutter choices to either the Hypertherm powermax 1000 or the Thermal Dynamics cutmaster 100. The Hypertherm (H) machine is $2000 and the Thermal Dynamics (TD) machine is $2300. But the hypertherm is only rated at 3/4" while the thermal Dynamics is rated at 1". So $300 buys a 25% increase. I tried out both of these machines yesterday and the TD machine will cut 1" 304 SS. The H machine will cut 1" but only very slowly. The H brochure states that it will cut 1" mild steel at over 10 inches/minute. Well, it wouldn't. The guy tried to tell me I was traveling that fast but I was counting but there was no way it was cutting that fast. The TD has 80 amps max output and the H has 60 amps max output. The H machine has an air regulator and it appears that the TD machine doesn't. Any ideas or opinions? Thanks, Eric R Snow, E T Precision Macshine

Reply to
Eric R Snow

I've been very happy with my Powermax 1250. Consumables ain't cheap but I haven't been eating them either. Been cutting mostly mild steel (1/8" to

1") and aluminum (1/8" to 1/2") at good speeds and finish. Before getting this I actually considered getting a sheet metal sheer for the 12 gauge - don't need it now. It also comes with an interface for CNC control.
Reply to
Lucky Strike

ThermaDynamics--112V * 80A = 8960W

Hypertherm--140V * 60A = 8400W

Doesn't look like at 25% increase to me.

FWIW IMHO they are both fine brands. The Hypertherm unit does indeed have a regulator.

Reply to
Footy

I didn't notice that the voltage out was different. That does indeed make them closer than what I posted. Thank You for pointing out my mistake. Still, the Thermal Dynamics cut faster on one inch mild steel than the Hypertherm. Eric

Reply to
Eric R Snow

The Hypertherm includes its own power supply?

Reply to
Tom