Thermal Dynamics Cutmaster 51 plasma cutter. Is it daid?

Gentlemen,
About a month ago, at an industrial auction, I bought the plasma
cutter of reference. I hadn't gotten around to testing it before now
because my 50 amp plug didn't have the correct footprint.
But now that I've plugged it in it doesn't peep. No lights come on.
The machine is rated to run at 208 - 240 volts single phase which is
what I have.
Is anybody familiar enough with these that you can point me to the no-
brainer things to look for such as a blown fuse, etc?
Thanks,
Vernon
Reply to
Vernon
Vernon; Post a message at the Yahoo Group on plasma cutting:
are some very friendly people there with lots of knowledge about different brands
Reply to
Prairie Metal Creations
Hi Vernon!
Check on page 4-4 of the Service Manual for troubleshooting tips:
Check page A-20 in that document for the schematic. (See the fuse marked F1 at coordinate B2 on that sheet? Ain't nobody happy if that fuse is open. :)
Look along the top edge of the sketch on page A6 for placement of F1, shown as a "1/2A, 250V (For 208/230-Volt units)" in the parts list on page 6-4.
--Winston
Reply to
Winston
do you have compressed air plugged in at proper pressure?
io
Reply to
Ignoramus23050
Exactly, mine acts dead, then comes alive when the air is turned on. Paul
Reply to
Paul
Gentlemen. Sorry. Oops. False alarm. I did have the bright idea to download both the owner's and service manuals. Apparently, the only dunce serviceable part inside is the fuse. I replaced this with the spare. I then continuity tested the removed fuse. Continuity was complete. So I put it back in the spare fuse holder and buttoned it up.
I dismounted and remounted the torch. I also replaced some of the consumables in the torch. I plugged it in and it lit up and the fan started to run. I'm not sure which of my clever fixes did the trick. But I think it might simply have not been plugged in properly.
I have not yet attempted to cut anything with it however as Texas is in the grip of a terrible cold snap. The temperature must be down to 75.
Thanks to all. Sorry for crying "wolf". V
Reply to
Vernon
Is yours the same brand? A service guy I talked to today mentioned that Millers had this feature. During its initial failure to start I DID have the air on and pumped up to about 75psi. However, when I tried it again after the above mentioned tweaks I did not bother to connect air as I was not intending to cut with it but simply see if it would power up, which it did.
Vernon
Gentlemen. Sorry. Oops. False alarm. I did have the bright idea to download both the owner's and service manuals. Apparently, the only dunce serviceable part inside is the fuse. I replaced this with the spare. I then continuity tested the removed fuse. Continuity was complete. So I put it back in the spare fuse holder and buttoned it up.
I dismounted and remounted the torch. I also replaced some of the consumables in the torch. I plugged it in and it lit up and the fan started to run. I'm not sure which of my clever fixes did the trick. But I think it might simply have not been plugged in properly.
I have not yet attempted to cut anything with it however as Texas is in the grip of a terrible cold snap. The temperature must be down to 75.
Thanks to all. Sorry for crying "wolf". V
These machines will shut down if the consumables are not assembled properly. Steve
Reply to
Up North